Explore Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon Sligo town Around Sligo town Lough Gill North Sligo West Sligo South Sligo Carrick-on-Shannon Around Carrick Boyle and around The Arigna Mountains Tulsk Strokestown Share The magnificent Georgian Strokestown Park House was the seat of the Mahon family from its completion in 1696 for almost three hundred years. This huge palladian mansion originally consisted of a two-storey central block and basement until the 1740s when Thomas Mahon, MP for Roscommon, hired the architect Richard Castle to construct a third storey and two extra wings. Mahon’s son, Maurice (who became the First Lord Hartland in 1800), made subsequent additions including the library and many decorative features, such as cornices and chimneypieces, while the Second Lord Hartland added the porch and its huge pilasters. The house remained in Mahon ownership until 1979 when it was sold, along with its contents, to a local garage owner who undertook restoration work and opened it to the public in 1987. Few Irish “big houses” retain their original owners’ property (in this case ranging from furniture to children’s toys), which is a vital factor in making the guided tours so entertaining. The main hall features early eighteenth-century wood panelling while the spacious dining room, decorated in rich rose-pink damask wallpaper, is equipped with furniture from the early 1800s and a mammoth turf-bucket. The library was originally a ballroom – hence the bowed space at one end, which housed musicians – and has glorious Chippendale bookcases, while the smoking room was converted into a laboratory and photographic darkroom by Henry Pakenham-Mahon in the 1890s. The house’s north wing includes a superb kitchen, replete with spits and ovens, and, looking upwards, you’ll see a balustraded gallery, the only surviving example in Ireland of a kind favoured by Castle, from which the housekeeper could keep an eagle eye on business down below and, according to Strokestown legend, drop menus for the week’s meals down to the cook. THE IRISH FAMINE MUSEUM Among the property passed on by the Mahons were numerous documents and letters relating to the family’s role in relation to the Great Famine of 1845–51. The former stables of Strokestown Park House, marvellously vaulted buildings in their own right, house an often chilling and ever stimulating museum detailing the Famine’s effects upon the Mahons’ tenants and its wider impact across Ireland. The intricate but ever informative displays and films focus on the concatenation of factors in Ireland – the growth of the rural population, the conacre system of agricultural tenancy, the reliance on the potato crop and the spread of the potato blight – that combined with Britain’s economic policy of non-interference to have such a devastating effect on human life. Exhibits also highlight the role in local events of Major Denis Mahon, who had inherited the Strokestown estate after the death of the third and last Lord Hartland in 1845. The malevolent major not only evicted the majority of his tenants, but contracted dangerously unseaworthy vessels (the infamous coffin ships) to transport some of them in atrocious conditions to North America. Displays document contemporary newspaper reports condemning his actions and, in 1847, his assassination by vengeful ex-tenants.