Estonia // Tallinn //

Church of the Holy Ghost and St Nicholas’s Church

Share

The fourteenth-century Church of the Holy Ghost (Puhä Vaimu kirik) on Pühavaimu is the city’s oldest church, a small Gothic building with stuccoed limestone walls, stepped gables, carved wooden interior, a tall, verdigris-coated spire and an ornate clock from 1680 – the oldest in Tallinn.

Contrasting sharply is the late Gothic St Nicholass Church (Niguliste kirik) southwest of Raekoja plats. Dating back to the 1820s and rebuilt after being mostly destroyed in a 1944 Soviet air raid, the church now serves as a museum of church art, including medieval burial stones and the haunting Danse Macabre (“Dance With Death”) by Bernt Notke. It also hosts free organ recitals (Sat & Sun 4pm).

Read More