Austria //

The Ring and Rathausplatz

Share

The Ring, the large boulevard that encircles the Innere Stadt, along with its attendant monumental civic buildings, was created to replace the town’s fortifications, demolished in 1857, many of these buildings now house museums. On the western section is the showpiece Rathausplatz, a square framed by four monumental public buildings: the Rathaus (City Hall), the Burgtheater, Parlament and the Universität – all completed in the 1880s.

Read More