Your best school trip?

So, the year before I entered Sixth Form at school they stopped running the most popular annual Sixth Form trip: a very cheap, 5-day-long jaunt in Amsterdam, with very few teachers and no set itinerary. I think they must’ve caught on to why it was so popular as the trip was always over-subscribed and no one turned up to school for a week after they returned home (obviously just exhausted from all those cultural excursions)…

I was still pretty lucky though, in my time at school I went on an exchange in Germany twice, visited France twice and blagged my way onto an art trip (I didn’t study art) to New York City! I think that beats Amsterdam any day – even if we did stay in the grottiest YMCA that has ever existed.

School trips serve some of my favourite memories, as it’s not often you get to explore new soil with a huge group of friends at that age – never mind having to worry about booking anything.

What were your favourite or best school trips? Let’s have a good old reminisce…

Lottie Gross 11/09/13    General travel chat Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

7 Replies Date Popularity

We went here – http://www.calacademy.org/academy/exhibits/ – every year on a day trip (only 5-6 miles, of course). It was always excellent.

And while it wasn’t a school trip, I took some boys and a couple of other adults on a 10-day 86 mile hike at – http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/. Backpacking really doesn’t always mean rollie suitcases that convert to backpacks ;)

PirateAt50 12/09/13    Link Report

The Academy of Sciences looks amazing – don’t think I could justify the airfare just for one visit though :P

Lottie Gross 12/09/13    Link Report

I didn’t have any say in where I was born (IN San Francisco), but it worked out. And it’s really difficult to documentarize the 60s ;) They were cool.

PirateAt50 12/09/13    Link Report

• Arran, Scotland, geology field trip (ok this was first year of uni), getting stuck shoulder deep in a peat bog.. Amazing little island though.

22camels 12/09/13    Link Report

• Quiberon in France, aged 14 on a cookery trip run by the Home Economics department. First time I ever saw a live lobster or a bidet (not at the same time, I hasten to add). I can’t say it inspired a passion for travel – mainly because I noticed nothing about France other than French boys on motorbikes. I remember them vividly. Including their names and how splendid their hair was.

Clare Currie 12/09/13    Link Report

• The Keilder Forest in about 1975 as the dam was being built. Our drama teacher took a group of us to a pony trekking centre for a week just before it opened for the season. We helped muck out, clean up and prepare the ponies in the morning and in the afternoons we hacked through the magnificent forest. There weren’t enough saddles and as the oldest in the group at 16 and having ridden a bit before I spent the whole week riding bareback on a fluffy pony. The experience of total freedom and adventure has stayed with me all my life and I thank Mary Hart for making such a unique trip possible

JudiB 14/09/13    Link Report

• We departed Swansea Docks in July 1967 , and cruised the Med, stopping at Lisbon , Gibraltar and Mainland Spain , didn’t see much of our Teachers …we were left to roam these towns and Cities on our own ……amazing life experience at the age of 14 ,
    We were gone for 2 weeks , missed my family …no Mobile phones in those days !
    But will remember it all my life .
    J

Jan 15/09/13    Link Report

• A week skiing in America – my first trip to the States and my first time skiing with friends. Having a bunch of mates all learning to snowboard together is definitely the best way to cope with the discomfort and bruises of the initial days!

Olivia Rawes 16/09/13    Link Report

• I was a Biology teacher in an International School and as such, was lucky enough to go on a school trip to The Galapagos.

We got to see the giant tortoises, landscape fashioned by larva, flamingos and of course, Darwin’s Finches!

One of the host families owned a local dive school and so I was allowed to take a few hours off to dive with marine iguanas and sea lions.

Best school trip ever!

Raquel P. 24/11/13    Link Report

Wow – that’s an incredible school trip! :)

Lottie Gross 25/11/13    Link Report

Got to be SOME bonuses to teaching! ;-)

Raquel P. 30/11/13    Link Report