WIN a two-week volunteer placement by answering this question – CLOSED

This competition is now closed.

Congratulations to our GVI trip winner Kirsty McCarlie, who chose Venezuela as her top destination for 2014. Kirsty is hoping to travel to Costa Rica with GVI to complete her placement conserving jaguars next year.

Read more: http://www.roughguides.com/article/win-a-2-week-volunteer-trip/?preview=true&preview_id=94070&preview_nonce=b3c152acab#ixzz2kdSnKvvw

We’re giving away a two-week placement to volunteer with Global Vision International in a choice of three locations around the world. If you’re the lucky winner, you’ll spend two weeks either helping in the conservation of dolphins in Kenya, track jaguars in Costa Rica, or taking part in marine conservation efforts in Thailand. For more information on the prizes see here: http://bit.ly/16T3onj

So how do you win?
Last year our editors and writers picked out their top ten destinations for 2013 and we’ll do the same again for 2014 – but this time we want to include a “People’s Choice” – so for a chance to win, answer us this in no more than 80 words:

What is your top destination for 2014 and why?

For complete Terms & Conditions see here: http://bit.ly/17hgWmM
Find out more about GVI: http://www.gvi.co.uk
Competition closes 23:59 GMT on 9th November 2013 and a winner will be drawn at random.

Lottie Gross 10/10/13    General travel chat Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

96 Replies Date Popularity

Namibia – making strides in tourism and an adventure capital of Africa – Namibia has it all, from coast, to wildlife and stunning desert areas!

janine 10/10/13    Link Report

To go to Rovaniemi in a log cabin,
With the fire burning bright,
To look at the mountains glistening,
What a wonderful sight!
Silver trunks of trees glowing at night
Snow covered landscapes very bright
I see carriages pulled by dogs in a line,
The barking midst the passing of time.

To see the streams not flowing covered in ice,
To see my children falling over not once but twice,
As I leave the cabin I touch the icy prickling snow
And notice my children’s faces all aglow,

Silver trunks of trees glowing at night
Snow covered landscapes very bright
I see carriages pulled by dogs in a line,
The barking midst the passing of time.

To watch the skiing joy of the mountains outside,
Through a gleaming window Cold as ice,
I guess life would never be the same
Having this memory of snow on an icy plane.

Linda Thorn 19/10/13    Link Report

Linda, this is beautiful! Is it an original poem?

However, if you’d like to enter the competition, your entry must be under 80 words. Not to worry though, you can always do a new post (at the end of the whole thread, please, not as a reply to me!) before Saturday night, and you’ll be entered.

Thanks!

Rebecca Hallett 06/11/13    Link Report

• Azores-amazing volcanic islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, which give to nature-lovers the chance to get involved with many different activities (from trekking to whale watching)!

Vana 10/10/13    Link Report

• Travelling around Africa in the 70′s I saw huge herds of elephants roaming the plains. I am distraught at the thought that they are now on the road to oblivion. I would give anything to be one of the people who helped bring them back from the brink. Making donations to caring charities is one thing, but to actually help in the work would be a fabulous opportunity.

Roger Bruton 10/10/13    Link Report

• Double landlocked between deserts and mountains, history flowing in its cities transformed by the hand of Alexander the Great, the Arabs and Soviets alike; it was a Silk Road trading center – and it’s UNESCO World Heritage Sites reflect that history. It also counts with various natural wonders, including the remains of the Aral Sea.
    Uzbekistan has a lot to offer and is known by the hospitality of its people who will delightfully show the wonders of their cuisine and the overflow of green tea.

tommygf 10/10/13    Link Report

Must see location:

Vietnam
    Each city is unique, in a way you could not critique
    The people are so kind, it’s brings piece of mind
    The food is just so good, I wish I could cook like they could
    The scenery is stunning, it’ll get you on your feet and running
    The history is rich and vast, but thankfully it’s past
    There is so much to see and do, other places would struggle to live up to

Go see it.

BGurney1 10/10/13    Link Report

Hi tommygf, thanks for your comment! And keep your eyes peeled for Uzbekistan-related content coming soon…

However, if you’d like to enter the competition, your entry must be under 80 words, and you’re just over! You can always do a new post though (at the end of the whole thread, please, not as a reply to me!) before Saturday night, and you’ll be entered.

Thanks!

• Japan. I want to experience the natural beauty and the deep history of traditional culture. Plus the madness of Tokyo, all of the cute things man has ever made, and sushi!!

mishvo 10/10/13    Link Report

• North Korea. This is a famously insular country that is only just beginning to open up to the outside world. The destinations may be controlled and staged at the moment, but things may be on the cusp of change and I want to see as much of that change as I can while I can.

Michael Huxley 10/10/13    Link Report

• Brazil – A country with even more added energy and excitement, thanks to the football world cup and Olympics on the way. Its a diverse melting pop of cultures from the settlers to the native tribes of the Amazon. Now’s the time to see the power house of the South America’s.

Jonathan Newby 10/10/13    Link Report

• Azerbaijan. Beautiful country, thriving economy and home to some of the world’s most beautiful, yet least discovered waterfalls! Home to the friendly and welcoming Azeris and Azeri language, which has long Persian and Arab influences, leaving behind a unique, yet fascinating culture and peoples. I must add that I would like to see the Government’s Human Rights’ record improve, but the average Azeri cannot be held accountable for this.

Kat Keshmiri 10/10/13    Link Report

• South America, after almost going 5 years ago it’s now or never.

Sarah 10/10/13    Link Report

• Cambodia – I’ve never known anyone come back disappointed by their visit. Angkor Wat is top of my wish list, as I am intrigued by photos of the giant tree roots growing round parts of this extraordinary, richly ornamented structure. By contrast, the Killing Fields outside Phnom Penh are a stark reminder of this country’s recent history.

Helen 10/10/13    Link Report

• Personally, I have North Africa, specifically Morocco, and the Sahara desert on my list. Casablanca, Marrakesh, Merzouga. The Sahara has a romantic draw of the uninhabited and truly remote, while the cities hold a history and culture rich in stories that I can’t wait to hear. There are so many beautiful places to see in this wide world, but this is my destination for 2014.

Laura Pucik 11/10/13    Link Report

• How do you save something beautiful? You act. Thailand is quickly developing, partly due to the hard work of the local population and the expansion of the tourist industry. However, this is often at the expense of the unique wildlife that also calls Thailand home. It is time to unite both locals and tourists in the preservation of the endangered species and to begin to construct an eco-friendly mindset to protect this spectacularly beautiful area of the world.

Jazzer 11/10/13    Link Report

• Anywhere in Asia. After traveling to Thailand this summer, I was intrigued by the beauty, culture and spirituality of the people. Most people are drawn to the beauty of the landscapes across Asia, but I find the languages and diversity among the people living in this region to be magnificent. There is so much rich history of this area that just makes the experience amazing. There are so many places that I want to see world wide but after my past experience, I know that anywhere in Asia would be one of my top destinations.

cara 11/10/13    Link Report

Hi Cara, thanks for the comment! You make Thailand sound like paradise, now I want to go too…

Just to let you know, though, that your post is a little over 80 words, and the maximum for this competition is 80 words… Not to worry though, you can always do a new post (at the end of the whole thread, please, not as a reply to me!) before Saturday night, and you’ll be entered.

Thanks!

• The Banda Islands, Indonesia

As the only place where nutmeg grew, faded colonialism abounds on these fabled Spice Islands with ruined forts and old plantations dotting the islands’ interior.

Honeycomb beaches encircle the islands and the seas remain rich for snorkeling with unspoilt reefs and bountiful fish.

You can climb a perfectly conical volcano for a spectacular sunrise and be back in time for a breakfast of nutmeg jam on toast.

It cannot be long before these islands are rediscovered.

Tread Your Own Path 12/10/13    Link Report

• I’m sorry, I’m unable to win the contest. On the bright side, anyone that remains on Rough Guides site will never have to contest against me.

You failed RG & Lottie. And now I will not return. Ask Michael if you don’t know why I left.

PirateAt50 13/10/13    Link Report

• I’d love to visit Peru and Cambodia!
    I am generally excited by the idea of South and Central America, and am yet to have had the opportunity to explore either. Doing the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is something I hope to one day tick off my bucket list!
    Cambodia is full of rich, relatively unknown history and culture. I’d love to get lost in this country for a few months and explore every nook and cranny it has to offer.

Erin0404 14/10/13    Link Report

Hi Erin, thanks for the comment! Peru and Cambodia would certainly be amazing destinations, they both have such fascinating histories and stunning landscape.

I just wanted to let you know, though, that your post is a little over the word limit if you’d like to enter this competition – it must be under 80 words. Not to worry though, you can always do a new post (at the end of the whole thread, please, not as a reply to me!) before Saturday night, and you’ll be entered.

Thanks!

• Halong Bay, Vietnam.

Put simply; this place will take your breath away.

Laura Visick 14/10/13    Link Report

• a must see destination: AUSTRALIA !!!! among a few others. a new experience in Australia is want i want for 2014. I have been wanted to do that for two years now and it is time to do it ! It is a popular destination but it’s more about the personal experience that comes out of it…

nadege88 14/10/13    Link Report

• Paraguay and Bolivia – the quiet, misunderstood little brothers at the heart of South America represent a huge spectrum of sights and experiences from mountain peaks to desolate desert landscapes, amazonian jungle, time-locked rural villages, modern cities and a mix of cultures and languages that are sadly threatened. Representing two of the Western Hemisphere’s last remaining gems untouched by resort culture, for me it’s an adventure waiting to happen…

Zenguerilla 14/10/13    Link Report

• Russia. Specifically the Kamchatka Peninsula because it is simply amazing. It is one of the few places on Earth with many active volcanoes and it is inaccessible to many, so it has remained out of sight for many tourists. The lack of tourism has left the scenery and way of life untouched. Reaching this remote location and traversing its large area takes a determined traveler, but that is an element to its charm. Kamchatka does not disappoint!

Jack 14/10/13    Link Report

• Chile, as it is part of the growing importance of the southern hemisphere and a geography/geology that will can make seasoned travelers blush. An active youth culture will always keep life interesting in the cities.

revjay69 15/10/13    Link Report

• Kenya- after volunteering in South Africa, as my first time out of the US, a few years ago I have been saving up to volunteer in Kenya. Many volunteers discussed their experiences or their plans to go to Kenya and how absolutely beautiful it is and I would love to share that experience and get a better understanding of Africa as a whole.

Holcomb7 15/10/13    Link Report

• Canadian Rockies (Banff/Jasper) – raw beauty of the Rockies and a glacial setting combined with a number of outdoor activities suited for anyone’s taste.

Jeff M 15/10/13    Link Report

• It might be a familiar home to many, but my most anticipated destination for 2014 is the United States.

I’ve lived in Britain my whole life, my only steps in this melting pot taking place when I was two. This time around—just over twenty years later—I’m hoping to make memories that aren’t only confined to photos, hazily recalled years later.

I’ve just got to get there first. My starting point in late December: San Jose, Costa Rica.

RichardWK 15/10/13    Link Report

Hi Richard, thanks for your comment! Hope you have an amazing time when you go back to the US and Costa Rica :)

I just wanted to let you know, though, that your post is the tiniest bit over the word limit for this competition – it must be under 80 words. But if you create a new post (at the end of the thread please, don’t reply to me with it!) under 80 words, even on exactly the same topic, we’ll enter you into the competition.

Thanks!

• I think I may finally have to make south east Asia my summer getaway. Not sure if I actually have enough time to see everything I’ll want to, but its a part of the world I’ve wanted to see for a long time now and there’s no time like the (future) present!

Alison Kazcnats 15/10/13    Link Report

• Vietnam! I would travel along the Mekong Delta to visit some floating markets, then visit the historic Cu Chi tunnels and lastly go to relax in Halong Bay. Bliss!

I would travel by bicycle with my boyfriend whilst soaking up the sun and the culture, and finding and eating the best local food!

Catrin 16/10/13    Link Report

• #Colombia!!.. I will start my first round the world adventure January 2014. Looking forward to it!!! It`s even better because I am in love and he is traveling with me.. <3 . I have traveled around my country many times and I am sure anyone can fall in love here.
    You will find great beaches, mountains, forest, a desert, big cities with good restaurants… and many many kind people.
    Colombia is the top and not discovered by many destination for 2014!!!!

sami ramirez 17/10/13    Link Report

• Into the Arctic circle to northernmost Lapland, driven by huskies through the days of everlasting night hoping to see the unworldly dance of the northern lights.

psp2020 18/10/13    Link Report

Nepal, I love mountains and in Nepal it’s all about Mountains.

Leandro 18/10/13    Link Report

• Nepal, I love mountains and in Nepal it’s all about Mountains.

Leandro 18/10/13    Link Report

• Easter Islands
    Love how remote they are and can be combined with a trip to Chile.

Melissa 18/10/13    Link Report

• Nepal! How could the majestic Mt. Everest not take your breath away?

Lisa 18/10/13    Link Report

• The Tepui in Venezuela. These incredible table-top mountains are featured in the Pixar film Up. The top of the mountains have bizarre looking flora and fauna that takes seeing to believe it’s really real. Angel Falls, a waterfall with nearly a one kilometre drop, is also featured in the film as Paradise Falls, the destination for Carl and his house. This amazing waterfall can be seen from one of the Tepui.

Kirsty 19/10/13    Link Report

• Central and South America, if my funds allow me to. Have been saving for this trip for the last 3 years and it hasn’t been easy. It’s easy to travel, since there’s hardly any visa requirements, I can understand and I’m sure in due time, also be able to speak Spanish. And it will be my first very long travel experience. Can’t wait!

Sofia Rodrigues 19/10/13    Link Report

• The Galapagos Islands – that’s where. To be able to follow in Darwin’s footsteps and see where he learned what he needed to formulate his theory has got to be wonderful. It’s History, Genetics, Biology and Tourism all wrapped up in one parcel.

Dianna 19/10/13    Link Report

• Provence France during lavender season….I long to see and smell the fields of the peace generating herb. For adventure… Victoria falls and visit all the countries that surround them. I want to win the contest!:)

arlene 19/10/13    Link Report

• Marrakech and Essaouira. The perfect combination of ancient and modern, chaotic and serene. From hiking in the Atlas Mountains, submerging in the cavalcade of Jemaa El Fna in the Red City, spotting an Eleonora’s Falcon in Essaouira or simply sitting by a fire in the desert, it is my top destination.

mazsola 19/10/13    Link Report

• Meerkat country – Namibia – because I’m curious about these creatures and their life in the desert. An opportunity to see them in their natural habitat would be wonderful, exploring the wild landscapes and sleeping al fresco under glittering stars.

kirkby 19/10/13    Link Report

• The Artic
    To see the impact of climate change first hand!

Manish 19/10/13    Link Report

• I’d love to go to Antarctica. It’s somewhere unique, totally different from anywhere else I’ve been and, for now at least, and hopefully forever, still unspoilt.

Dunderhied 19/10/13    Link Report

• Australia. Everyone I know that’s been to Australia has said they had the time of their lives. When they got back to England, I had the impression that they had ‘grown’. I’d particularly like to explore some of their nature reserves and capture the unique wildlife on camera. I would also love to see both Melbourne and Sydney. I’ve had this in mind for over 5 years so hopefully my dream will finally come true in 2014!

ceejay 19/10/13    Link Report

• The Galapagos Islands – I have travelled a lot over the years but have not yet made it here. Mainly because I have no friends who are interested in going and I really do not want to share a cabin on the boat with a stranger! (I can’t think of anything worse than being in the most amazing place in the world but finding my cabin companion really irritating). However the single supplement on Galapagos trips is almost double the cost of the trip and is therefore restrictive! One day I will get there!

Rowsie 19/10/13    Link Report

Hi Rowsie, thanks for your comment! Hope you manage to find someone to share that cabin soon, the Galapagos Islands would be an amazing destination.

I just wanted to let you know, though, that your post is a little over the word limit for this competition – it must be under 80 words. But if you create a new post (at the end of the thread please, don’t reply to me with it!) under 80 words, even on exactly the same topic, we’ll enter you into the competition.

Thanks!

• Bhutan! Amazing scenery and a people that focus on Gross Domestic Happiness. We could all do with more of that.

Intl Woman of Mystery 19/10/13    Link Report

• Belize. We visited one day on a cruise. The people were so nice. I am sure we could help in some way.

Lnsdrews 19/10/13    Link Report

• Belize city, Belize. The people there were so nice. I am sure we could help somewhere.

Lnsdrews 19/10/13    Link Report

• Queensland, Australia has been on my bucket list, lifelong. OH, to snorkel the Great Barrier Reef, explore the countryside, learn the culture, watch the sun set on deserted beaches and camp under the stars. But then there is the lure of Asia…ancient civilizations, food fit for kings, stunning vistas….how does one decide?

MissKitty 19/10/13    Link Report

• The Yukon. Chance to experience the wildlife, see grizzlies, hear the wolves howl and be food for a million mosquitoes! Experience how the gold rush miners, traders and their women travelled and then lived. Dawson City – den of iniquity and vice, where men were men and the few women usually good time girls! What a history! Add that to the Inuit culture and subsistence life to learn about and experience. What a golden destination!

Ann Collins 19/10/13    Link Report

• I’m not sure if there is “the most beautiful destination on the planet” or one place that I want to visit, for me the wherever you go on the planet is beautiful and unique if you are savoring the local culture, food, people, nature, the sunrise, the sunset, the ocean, the mountain, the lake hence the real beauty of travel living twice!

Lorna 19/10/13    Link Report

• When I was 19 years old I’d booked a holiday to Thailand. Was soooo looking forward to it, then I was rushed to Hospital with peritonitis a few days prior to leaving & never seemed to get another chance.

Since then I’ve become a PADI Dive Instructor, help monitor Coral Reefs & marine life, am a founding member of NEST (North East Sea Turtles) & lifelong member of Environment Tobago & am Secretary of WAT (Wildlife Association of Tobago).

I often dream of getting to Thailand & the Marine Conservation Experience sounds like something I could play a positive part in as well as gaining experience & memories to last a lifetime from the country, the people & the natural wildlife & aquatic realm of this amazing Country.

These are just a few of the reasons why Asia is number 1 on my hit-list for 2014……& if I can help in any manner or form whilst travelling – all the better.

Caroline Hardie 19/10/13    Link Report

Hi Caroline, thanks for your amazing comment. It sounds like you’ve done a lot of great things with your life so far, I’m sure you’ll make it to Thailand soon!

Hi Rowsie, thanks for your comment! Hope you manage to find someone to share that cabin soon, the Galapagos Islands would be an amazing destination.

I just wanted to let you know, though, that your post is unfortunately over the word limit for this competition – it must be under 80 words. But if you create a new post (at the end of the thread please, don’t reply to me with it!) under 80 words, even on exactly the same topic, we’ll enter you into the competition.

Thanks!

• Madagascar – Because it is an island with unique wildlife found nowhere else is the world. It also boasts a unique culture with its people, who face many difficulties along with the wildlife, from logging and poaching. To see this stunning country before it is lost, would be amazing.

Jen 20/10/13    Link Report

• Western Slovenia – from pristine alpine lakes and picturesque mountain trails of the Triglav national park to breathtaking limestone caves, wine trails and Lipizzan horses of the Karst region – in only one day!

Ursa 20/10/13    Link Report

• New Zealand. Mostly the Southern island. Have never been there, and it has been on my TO SEE list for a long time.

irith 20/10/13    Link Report

• Madagascar. Before it becomes too touristic.

• Madagascar. A prisitne jungle with lots of endemic species. Must go there before it becomes too touristic.

• Gabon, where elephants can be seen to bath themselves on the beach.

transpriory 20/10/13    Link Report

• Czech Republic
    In the early 90′s I took up a great opportunity to live & work in the then Czechoslovakia (a county which no longer exists). I worked at a small architecture firm, mostly on buildings which were rightfully returned to private citizens. Many were in terrible disrepair. Small businesses arose everywhere.
    I lived with architects in their family homes. I met tons of people: cycled to folk festivals with the philharmonic, went spelunking and rock climbing with adventurers, taught English to a bunch of engineers up in the highlands, reveled ’till dawn at underground punk clubs and quietly took in its culture and architecture. I had adventures every weekend and accepted invitations constantly. In the early autumn, I ventured further out on my own, with a backpack & rudimentary Czech language skills & took every form of transportation to fully cover everything in my guidebook, occasionally hitch-hiking and sleeping in fields. I’d explored the country more than most any Czech. This was in the era of letter writing, when international phone calls were outrageously expensive and pre-email, let alone face book. While I had addresses in a little hand-written tab, I’d lost track of most & most do not use facebook. I’d love to reconnect with these old friends as so much life has separated us.

urbanwoodsman 20/10/13    Link Report

Hi urbanwoodsman, thank you for this incredible comment. You really embody the RG mindset – travelling isn’t just about going somewhere pretty to take photos, it’s about the whole experience, and you have to give as well as take. I hope you get to the Czech Republic really soon!

I just wanted to let you know, though, that your post is unfortunately over the word limit for this competition – it must be under 80 words. But if you create a new post (at the end of the thread please, don’t reply to me with it!) under 80 words, even on exactly the same topic, we’ll enter you into the competition.

Thanks!

• Czech Republic
    In the early 90′s I took up a great opportunity to live & work in the then Czechoslovakia (a county which no longer exists). I worked at a small architecture firm, mostly on buildings which were rightfully returned to private citizens. Many were in terrible disrepair. Small businesses arose everywhere.
    I lived with architects in their family homes. I met tons of people: cycled to folk festivals with the philharmonic, went spelunking and rock climbing with adventurers, taught English to a bunch of engineers up in the highlands, reveled ’till dawn at underground punk clubs and quietly took in its culture and architecture. I had adventures every weekend and accepted invitations constantly. In the early autumn, I ventured further out on my own, with a backpack & rudimentary Czech language skills & took every form of transportation to fully cover everything in my guidebook, occasionally hitch-hiking and sleeping in fields. I’d explored the country more than most any Czech. This was in the era of letter writing, when international phone calls were outrageously expensive and pre-email, let alone face book. While I had addresses in a little hand-written tab, I’d lost track of most & most do not use facebook. I’d love to reconnect with these old friends as so much life has separated us.

• Czech Republic

• I dream of Borneo. Orangutans, Sun Bears, exotic wildflowers, rain forest with plants that no one has named yet. Then to wash away the heat of the day there are waterfalls and deep pools in the forest and extensive coastlines of beautiful beaches lapped by clear blue water where the turtles swim.

Helen 20/10/13    Link Report

• Argentina! With a capital city of 10 million people no doubt there’s no lack of excitement! Between the thrill of the city life and the bliss of nature that Argentina offers I think it’s the perfect destination for 2014. I plan on exploring the country for my honeymoon next year!

Gina 20/10/13    Link Report

• Croatia! It’s been on my list for a while. Beautiful beaches, historic cities and amazing natural wonders.

Jessica English 20/10/13    Link Report

• Ghana.
    Because of the warmth & kindness of his habitants and the overwhelming nature in different parts of the country. And simply because Ghana has wrote a positive story for the last decade and is a roll model for other African countries. Visiting as a tourist is a special and recommendable sensation!

Geert D 21/10/13    Link Report

• The hidden gem of Japan – Hokkaido. Here lies a place where only 5% of the population live. A complete different view of Japan you’ve ever had from the usual hedonistic life of their cities. Here you’ll find stunning mountain ranges, beautiful hikes in their national parks, stumbling upon bears, foxes and snakes, idyllic cycle routes, and amazing natural sceneries. It’s the Japan that the world needs to see and not their cities. Discover the real Japan. Only in Hokkaido.

kevinvijaya 22/10/13    Link Report

Hi Kevin, thanks for your comment. It’s an excellent destination choice, somewhere which even mainland Japanese think of as a little wild and closer to nature. I’d love to go myself!

I just wanted to let you know, though, that your post is a tiny bit over the word limit for this competition – it must be under 80 words. But if you create a new post (at the end of the thread please, don’t reply to me with it!) under 80 words, even on exactly the same topic, we’ll enter you into the competition.

Thanks!

• I think the new and undiscovered place to visit is Iran.That country is very safe actually if you listen those people who visit that country.
    Beautiful and very mixed nature with unique Persian history.Considering that there are not much tourism or tourists around then you can see the real hospitality from local people.
    I really suggest to go there,

Tallinn,Estonia

Tonis 22/10/13    Link Report

• Kenya. Safari to the Maasai Mara, one of the seven wonders of the world, the wildebeest migration, classy Safari Lodges. Take a pick, king of the jungle, mighty elephants, fastest mammal on earth-cheetah, rhinos, leopards, giraffes, all in their natural habitats. You have not been to a beach if you have not been to Malindi, Lamu and North Coast in Kenya, crisp white sand, black metallic sand. Wind surfing, bungee jumping, waterfalls out of nowhere, Kenya has it all.

Godfrey Odhiambo 22/10/13    Link Report

• Burma…ancient culture, recent change…fascinating mixture, and not yet over-run by commercial tourism…

SheeB 22/10/13    Link Report

• I’ve been a spiritual quest for the past 5 years, so next on my list is Ethiopia.

Dthatcher 22/10/13    Link Report

• Sierra Leone – this destination has everything. A stay with the original tribe of Sierra Leone who go out and collect the palm wine. Beautiful beaches with with superb snorkelling and diving. National parks where you can track wild chimpanzees and other wonderful wildlife. Then how about a stay at the chimpanzee sanctuary. Finally marvellous mountains and then some of the world’s friendliest people and a country unspoilt by tourism. Plus the chance to help the economy and locals of a country once ravaged by war. Help it get back on it’s feet x

Lynn 23/10/13    Link Report

Hi Lynn, thanks for your amazing comment. Sierra Leono is an under appreciated destination, probably because of the legacy of war. It’s great that you not only love it as a tourist destination, but want to help the country get back on its feet again.

I just wanted to let you know, though, that your post is a little over the word limit for this competition – it must be under 80 words. But if you create a new post (at the end of the thread please, don’t reply to me with it!) under 80 words, even on exactly the same topic, we’ll enter you into the competition.

Thanks!

• Socotra: With the stability of Western Asia and North Africa currently in flux and constantly questionable, it seems prudent to go to the beautiful and mesmerizing island of Socotra in Yemen before/if the opportunity is lost. Experience its otherworldly landscape with flora and fauna found nowhere else on earth, such as the alien-esque dragon blood trees. Now is your chance!

lotoseater 23/10/13    Link Report

• The Outer Islands of Yap, Federated States of Micronesia. Perfect weather, remote beaches, and the best of both worlds — it’s Westernized just enough to be somewhat accessible, but secluded enough to retain most of it’s deeply traditional culture. I would love the chance to travel through one of the most remote regions in the world and get a taste of true island life.

Branchingsix 23/10/13    Link Report

• Vietnam – Cambodia – Laos
    In the south of France I met a wonderful young Vietnamese woman. I will visit her and her family in Vietnam. Once i’m there it would be a shame to not go Cambodia and Laos. I’m looking forward to the nature, the ancient history and a culture that’s so different then ours. It will be my first long travel outside of Europe. I will spend three months there, sometimes on my own, and I’m very sure it will be unforgettable!

CarmenBelgium 24/10/13    Link Report

Hi Carmen, thanks for your comment. It sounds like you’re going to have an amazing trip, I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks!

In the south of France I met a wonderful young Vietnamese woman. I will visit her and her family in Vietnam. Once i’m there it would be a shame to not go Cambodia and Laos. I’m looking forward to the nature, the ancient history and a culture that’s so different then ours. It will be my first long travel outside of Europe. I will spend three months there, sometimes on my own, and I’m very sure it will be unforgettable!

• I want to go to Thailand! I’ve been meaning to get there for the last 20 years, and now divorced, I feel like I have the time and the energy to do it! Everything about Thailand appeals to me….the climate, the food, the scenery…….I’d be more than happy to ‘volunteer’ my way there, and I’m exceptionally happy in and on the water!!

suewarr 24/10/13    Link Report

• My must go to destination in 2014 is Krakow, Poland. The buildings suffered little damage from World War II. It’s near Auschwitz, which would be a humbling place to visit.

Brian Eubanks 26/10/13    Link Report

• Borneo- Indonesia. To see, first hand, the stunning wildlife that exists in the Bornean rainforest would be incredible. However it would also provide inspiration and motivation to help prevent the loss of it’s fascinating ecosystems and species, occurring at a beyond alarming rate. Some of the conservation work going on there right now is amazing, and it would be an honour to witness it in action, or furthermore assist with it.

Simon H 27/10/13    Link Report

• Colombia as there are so many areas where you can travel off the beaten track and emerge yourself into the Colombian culture.

Livvy Bruce 28/10/13    Link Report

• Macu Picchu has sat smugly at the top of my bucket list for quite some time now. Somehow, I can’t imagine it’ll disappoint when my time for the Inca Trail finally calls.

Lucy 29/10/13    Link Report

• Strange how this is the one thread that gets a lot of people chatting! ;D

Michael Huxley 29/10/13    Link Report

• My 2014 Travel Plans/Hopes are traveling around Africa for 12-18 months volunteering as a go to meet the Locals and experience what it means to them to call Home.
    Specifically I’m wanting to photograph the Great Silverbacks and do volunteer work in collection data, doing my little bit to help preserve the Great Apes in the Wild. In Tanzania there’s a great School called St Judes that offers FREE Education to their children and is winning awards for their high Standards. I donated the Sale money of my house-furniture in 2010 and want to see for my own eyes the great work that Emma and her team is doing to Break the Cycle of Poverty through Education!
    These are to name just a few of the things l want to ‘do’ and ‘see’ for my own eyes in Africa.
    many thanks,
    Pants on and out the Door!!

Pants on and out the Door 01/11/13    Link Report

Hi Pants on (amazing username, by the way), thanks for your comment! I hope you get a chance to explore Africa for yourself, and see some of the charitable work you’ve contributed to in action.

Thanks!

• Undiscovered. A magical, vibrant and beautiful place; Fiji holds the world’s secrets. It is YOUR destination; it is everything you have dreamed about. It will welcome you, embrace you and make your wildest fantasies come true. This is a paradise of your own, it is what you want it to be, and it will not disappoint. It is mysterious, passionate, and desirable and it is waiting for you. Fiji is absolutely the top destination of 2014.

ESBoyce 04/11/13    Link Report

• Myanmar. The country has recently opened its doors to change, both economic and political, so it’s a must-see before modernity transforms its untainted communities, lands and people.

Cory Lopez 04/11/13    Link Report

• Svalbard! I am forever drawn northward to the Arctic. Last year it was an epic trip to Greenland. This year my heart is set on Svalbard.

LauraF 05/11/13    Link Report

• Flores Island, Indonesia. This sounds like my idea of heaven and once I got there I could see myself never leaving.

stvgreen 06/11/13    Link Report

• Iran.

With improvements to the visa process on the way, it will be easier than ever to go and experience the food, culture and architecture.

tinydog 06/11/13    Link Report

• Anywhere in Asia. After traveling to Thailand this summer, I was intrigued by the beauty, culture and spirituality of the people. Most people are drawn to the beauty of the landscapes across Asia, but I find the languages and diversity among the people living in this region to be magnificent. The rich history of this area makes the experience amazing. After my experience, Asia would be one of my top destinations.

cara 06/11/13    Link Report

• Hidden gem of Japan – Hokkaido. A place where only 5% of the population live. A complete different view of Japan you’ve ever had from the usual hedonistic life of its cities. Here you’ll find stunning mountain ranges, beautiful hikes in their national parks, stumbling upon bears, foxes and snakes, idyllic cycle routes, and amazing natural sceneries. The Japan that the world needs to see and not its cities. Discover the real Japan in Hokkaido.

kevinvijaya 07/11/13    Link Report

• Iran – with the political climate thawing and visa restrictions loosening for many nations now is the perfect time to visit this famously hospitably country before the hoards descend. For an extra special bonus try to leave via the train to Istanbul to witness religious dress being exchanged for more liberal attire and a heady party atmosphere as you move into Iran’s more relaxed neighbour.

chewzter 07/11/13    Link Report

• Fiji – Beautiful country with enchanting scenery and crystal clear seas full of fascinating marine life, including the elusive Spinner Dolphins! If you want to escape the hustle and bustle of modern day life and experience a simpler, laid back lifestyle (even if only for a week!) then this is the place to go. Explore the waterfalls, relax on the untouched beaches, island hop, be fully immersed in the amazing Fijian culture and make sure you drink Kava!

staceymac20 07/11/13    Link Report

• Madeira Islands – An island belonging to Portugal, all though situated closer to Morocco, offers breathtaking mountainous scenery. Rich in culture and history this island had a lot to offer!

Sandz 07/11/13    Link Report

• Vietnam – Plain and simple, this destination seeps history and culture and breathtaking landscapes. Its been the top of the list for some time now.

Stu @ WheresMyPassport 08/11/13    Link Report

• Ethiopia. A stunning country not full of starvation and dry heat as portrayed unfortunately from the 80s famine/media but widely green and lush. Stunning thermal natural hot pools and spas, great food, awsome fruit and veg, unique culture – never colonialised with the main language still being Amharic. I was lucky enough to work for VSO there and have produced 6 Ethiopian/UK fusion albums from it to international acclaim since :) e.g. I have a track on the Rough Guide to Ethiopia which comes with an entire bonus CD/album of my work

http://www.invisiblesystem.com

http://www.harperdiabate.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/danieleonharper?feature=mhee

http://www.myspace.com/invisiblesystemDeletehttps://www.facebook.com/groups/invisiblesystem/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Invisible-System/46460854245?fref=ts

https://twitter.com/InvisibleSystem

http://invisiblesystem.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.mixcloud.com/InvisibleSystem/

Dan Harper 08/11/13    Link Report

Hi Dan, thanks for the great comment (and music!)

Just wanted to let you know, though, that there’s an 80 word limit if you want to be entered into this competition. Just repost (same topic is fine) within the word limit, and we’ll add you to the competition.

Thanks, and good luck!

Rebecca Hallett 08/11/13    Link Report

• My must-see destination would have to be Africa! It is a beautiful country with some of the most amazing sights and magnificent animals out there. I would particularly like to see Killmanjaro and to go on a safari!

lovetypething_ 08/11/13    Link Report

• Alaska, United States. Pristine wilderness, clear waters, wild landscape and most of all, bears! I dream about setting up camp by the river in the middle of nowhere, waking when the rising sun dapples against the canvas of my tent, spending the day watching bears salmon fishing and finishing the day with some salmon fishing of my own (and with a bit of luck, fresh campfire-baked salmon for dinner!)

BoundlessSkies 09/11/13    Link Report

• It would have to the Philippines. Island hopping and taking time to explore each one. One example – Siqujour a small island in the middle of the archipelago which other Philippinos are unlikely to visit because it’s considered to be haunted. This small island has amazingly friendly locals who invited me to their local festival where there was a feast of roast chickens and local red horse beer. The waterfalls and hot springs are deserted and relaxing.

cat 09/11/13    Link Report

• Paris.
    Unoriginal, yes, but having been before one wet and wine-fuelled autumn, I’d love to see the city in spring. The wrought-iron balconies, the art, the architecture and strolling through the Tuilieries – patisseries in hand – to a backdrop of glistering lights. Hard to overlook.

Calum Falconer 09/11/13    Link Report

• Estonia — It is in a part of the world where I have never traveled and it is a culture I have never before experienced, rich in history and yet rapidly changing. Any country that can stave off the Soviet regime and achieve their independence from Soviet occupation using song rather than weapons is a testament to the strength of this country and its people, and is something that I want to experience firsthand.

CourtyLee 09/11/13    Link Report