CLOSED: WIN a four-night stay in a luxury Forest Holidays cabin

THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.

Want to go camping but don’t want the struggle with the tent? Or perhaps you’d rather not brave the wilderness in the middle of the night when nature’s calling? Or maybe, you’re just not up to sleeping on the hard ground any more?

We’ve got the answer: tell us your worst camping experience below, in less than 80 words, and you could win a four-night stay in a Forest Holidays cabin complete with a hot tub and panoramic woodland views!

Find out more about the prize here: http://bit.ly/1e7E7W0
Terms and Conditions here: http://bit.ly/I3lUwX
Competition closes Monday 16th December 2013. Prize includes accommodation only, no travel costs included.

To enter, submit your answers below.

Lottie Gross 15/11/13    General travel chat Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

121 Replies Date Popularity

Camping on the Fusion festival in Germany. It was the best festival I did (and I did a lot of festivals) but the weather was a nightmare. It didn’t stop raining and I didn’t bring my raincoat. I tough if I was positive thinking the sun would shine. Not. I looked like I spend hours in a bath-tube with wrinkles in my fingers and feet.

CarmenBelgium 16/11/13    Link Report

• Vivid recollection of my first camping holiday. Consumed a punnet of plums before setting off to Haggestone Castle – which isn’t sensible when you get car sickness.

Pitched the tent & went for a walk, whilst away the tent blew away. We had torrential storms & the replacement tent leaked. We all got cold & ended up going home early!

Surprisingly, my parents took me back the following year & I’ve since had lots of positive camping experiences.

MYOU999 16/11/13    Link Report

• Definitely during my time camping in the jungle in Belize. 3 weeks in hot, humid conditions, lugging a 30ib daysac (that got soaked during a river crossing).
    My Bivi and hammock broke, I pulled a muscle … everything that could go wrong did go wrong!

But on the bright side I learned a lot about jungle survival and have since had many successful (and enjoyable) camping expeditions.

Michael Huxley 17/11/13    Link Report

• I must have only been about 8 or 9 and my brother 10 when we went on a camping trip to France with my Dad and stepmum. All was fine at the campsite until my dad fired up the BBQ. The hedge he was next to caught on fire and the whole thing went up in flame. Oops! Not good at all. Don’t think the campsite were happy

Nugget1984 18/11/13    Link Report

• Spending the night in a treeless field in mid – wales in torrential wind and rain. Neither stopped for a day and night. The tent did stand, but the rain literally pushed the rain through the tent canvas. I packed everything but our bed into the car and in the morning our airbed was an island in a pond. Around us were destroyed awnings and tents I am thankful for forking out on a expensive tent!

Rachel's View 18/11/13    Link Report

• Ice fishing in the Adirondacks in the middle of January. We tented on Lake George (3 feet of ice and another foot of snow) I forgot my boots. The sneakers I was wearing were completely saturated by the end of the first night (3 more to go). I froze for 3 days. I just want to thank my man Evan Williams for getting me through it.

dbenoit87 18/11/13    Link Report

• Spend a night on the norfolk broads, below freezing…went and slept in the shower room!!!! Left my poor bf in the tent alone!

emma 18/11/13    Link Report

• Probably setting the tent on fire when the barbeque toppled over! #fail

urrrbanfox 18/11/13    Link Report

• Packed everything including the kitchen sink… Apart from the tent!! Got there and unpacked the car, only to find that the tent wasn’t there! We had to use a Basher sheet as a Bivouac – not at all what I had envisaged. No snugly cosy sleep for us! We laugh about it now but it was really horrible that night. :)

Mrs Jolly Camper 18/11/13    Link Report

• It’s got to be festival camping…whilst I’ve done plenty in the cold and rain I went to a festival in Spain a few years back that was so hot it was almost unbearable. The ground was so parched it was really hard with lots of stones- I had to buy a lilo to sleep on but every morning but it was deflated! But waking up with a hangover in a baking hot sweaty tenant was definitely not fun!!

JennySmurph 19/11/13    Link Report

• i remember going down to the new forest with mum and dad and cousins when young and putting the tent up in a force 10 gale. us kids thought it was fun: mum and dad didn’t!

georgiecurl 19/11/13    Link Report

• I really like the RG community but it’s unfair to have all these competitions for the UK and US residents only. This is an international community with members from all around the world, yet we’re always left out. Isn’t there a way to change this? Is it too complicated or a lot of hassle? I’m sure RG would not prefer this either and there must be a way to make it possible for everyone. Any ideas?

bamboo 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi @bamboo

Unfortunately there are legal reasons why we can only open competitions to US and UK residents – we wish we could share our prizes with all our fans round the world, but alas, we are unable to at this point in time.

Have a great weekend. All the best,

Lottie

Lottie Gross 22/11/13    Link Report

• I remember staying on a campsite in Cornwall, we had a family tent on one side, and another the other side. In the middle we set up a gazebo, with our canvas wardrobe in. On our first night we settled down… 3 hours later we awoke to hear a loud storm brewing outside, upon unzipping the tent and stepping out into the cold, wet wilderness, we whitnessed the first, and only, flight of our ‘Argos’ gazebo and clothes!

Dexter 20/11/13    Link Report

• At a sports tournament one year me and some mates pitched a 6 man tent in the rain, the first night a drunken reveller fell into the tent snapping several of the poles and squashing one of us girls, then the next night a late comer squeezed their tent inbetween ours and another (they were touching) it tipped it down soaking one of the bedrooms, I had a very soggy bed and sleeping bag & on the last night someone left the tent door unzipped and we all woke up the following morning to discover an indoor swimming pool with all our stuff floating in it. That was one damp car journey home.

GoobIt 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Goobit,

Great story! And hey, an indoor swimming pool sounds glamorous… right?

If you want to enter the competition, though, your entry must be 80 words or under. You’re welcome to repost if you like – please do so in a fresh post, rather than as a comment on this, as it makes it much easier for us to spot!

Thanks,
    Becca

Rebecca Hallett 22/11/13    Link Report

• I’ve never been camping in my life – what a wimp! But….now I have a three year old I think it’s time to bite the bullet and gave it a go. Possibly???

Louise Anderson 20/11/13    Link Report

• It would definitely be my gold Duke of Edinburgh award expedition in Wales. Four days of hiking in the worst weather in Wales for 16 years, followed by trying to pitch tents in flooded campsites. Our clothes never had time to dry before we had to put them on again. We were surviving on lucozade tablets and awful boil in the bag food. To top it off my friend got hypothermia and I had to carry her through knee deep mud to the nearest village. Never again!

Caroline 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Caroline,

That’s one hell of a story. And I thought my DofE was bad…

If you want to enter the competition, though, your entry must be 80 words or under. You’re welcome to repost if you like – please do so in a fresh post, rather than as a comment on this, as it makes it much easier for us to spot!

Thanks,
    Becca

• My first camping experience – a couple of nights in Appletreewick in the Dales. I was frozen during the night and therefore tired and miserable during the day. It put me off camping for 20 years.

Then I spent 5 weeks wild camping in Iceland – absolute bliss.
    The difference? some decent kit – don’t leave home without it !!

ShelaghH 20/11/13    Link Report

• I’ve never been camping in my life – what a wimp. But now I have a three year old I think it’s probably time to bite the bullet and give it a go…possibly???

Louise Anderson 20/11/13    Link Report

• We had booked 9 of us a weekend of whitewater rafting and had planned to camp on site.
    Two days before we were scheduled to leave I found out I was pregnant (happy news, yes, but it meant that I wasn’t allowed to go rafting.)
    I decided to go and just enjoy camping, however, between the rain all night & day & the hole in the air mattress I was to sleep on & the 1000 trips to the outhouse, it was a miserable experience.

Amie 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Amie,

That sounds like a tough trip… But at least it was for a happy reason!

Thanks,
    Becca

• The drummer in my band and I went camping in New York’s Adirondacks. We knew it was supposed to rain, but we didn’t count on a storm blowing in as we summited the exposed and treacherous Gothic’s Peak. Running down the mountain, Alan realized he’d dropped the tent poles off the side of the mountain –leave it to a drummer to drop his sticks! We made a lean-to from the rain cover and ate some hot-soup to stave off hypothermia.

keuglepuss 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi keuglepuss,

Thanks for the story, it certainly fits the description of “worst camping stories”!

Thanks,
    Becca

• Camping with friends, when I was 17, in the Lake District fells at Easter is hard to erase from my memory although it is 50 years ago. During the night the temperature dropped to below freezing and all the food we had with us froze in our rucksacks. I remember breakfast was a fruit loaf which we had to break into pieces by hitting it against a rock because it was frozen solid. Luckily we didn’t lose any teeth!

JayS 20/11/13    Link Report

• A boiling hot summer camping expedition to Norfolk. A packed campsite and one family next to us that seemed to have numerous children and dogs and who didn’t stop arguing – on the other side of us – a snorer, so when the family finally slept, there was still no peace!

cathos 20/11/13    Link Report

• Backpacking around Eygpt, way, way back. In Cairo, cut price room, all we can afford after being robbed in Jerusalem hostel (which we’re amazed at as we have nothing in backpacks to steal, apart from a pretty brush which I didn’t mind losing) we all catch and get eaten by fleas. Travel mate serious allergic reaction, running around back streets in dusty Cairo looking for pharmacist, children running after us looking for fags which we are never going to give them. Find one who also happens to be doctor. Treated and helped friend, real nice guy. Make our way to Dahab a day late to meeting point with various nationalities, friends, partners etc. Get in cab, pass out in desert, cab driver cool, he’s used to it, makes sure we’re OK. Sign in at Dahab police station, bedouin people feed us up on sugary pancakes and fruit. We’re feeling better. Disasters while backpacking always undisastered by cool indigenous people. I’d do every minute again.

Gizagirl 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Gizagirl,

That’s a great story, and a great point. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks,
    Becca

• During an expedition with friends to the New Forest, we’d gathered in one of our two tents with a few bottles of beer when it started to rain. So everyone decided to crash in ‘my’ tent. During the night there was an almighty storm. Unzipping the fly the next morning we discovered that half the campsite had been washed away and our second tent had been flattened by a falling tree. A lucky escape. And all thanks to beer.

gnarlybole 20/11/13    Link Report

• Yosemite stocked alpine lakes with rainbow trout in the 80’s. Complete novices, we headed off main Hetch Hetchy trail with a blow-up raft and fishing rods. Tony butterfly stroked us to the middle of freezing lake. Beginners luck – I caught the first fish. Second cast -snagged.. PPffffffffff.. We were sinking. Once ashore, we spotted 3 bear cubs; had no choice but approach. Ready to offer our trophy trout, momma bear turned away. Terrified, we scurried back to our tent… with dinner.

kcoronges 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi kcoronges,

Wow, a lucky escape there… Thanks for the great story!

Thanks,
    Becca

• Spent a weekend in the Brecon Beacons. Campsite was on a slope and being young and newish to camping we set up so one tent facing uphill (mine) and my friends faced downhill opposite so we could lay in tents and chat. Once set up we went for a hike in the sun. On returning we found both tents infested with ants! After ages flicking out the little blighters we reset our camp further along the field only for it to pour with rain all night and the water to sheet across the field and stream into my tent pooling at the bottom, soaking everything. A great weekend! Hey, its what memories are made of!

Matt 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the great story – glad you came out with a positive attitude!

Thanks,
    Becca

• A camping expedition in the Easter holidays when I was 17 was a trip to remember – snow was falling as we set up camp in the fells near Coniston Old Man. During the night the temperature dropped below freezing and because our sleeping bags were only the thin, sleepover type, we couldn’t sleep at all so we decided to eat the last morsels of food left in our rucksacks. Out came a fruit cake – our long anticipated treat – but frozen so solid that we couldn’t cut it with a knife but had to hit it against a rock…to see it shatter into hundreds of pieces which scattered amongst the sheep poo and gravel scree…was this the Duke of Edinburgh’s revenge?

JayS 20/11/13    Link Report

• Even though I still had an amazing time. In Telluride, CO for the bluegrass fest in June, it rained and rained and rained. Naturally, after living in sunny Calif for a very long time, I did not prepare for rain and serious mud! I was a mess! The mud was so deep, it actually sucked my boots right off of my feet. Eventually I just went barefoot, as it was so much easier. The music was great, and I just got over the fact that I was a filthy mess every day!

photosbypat 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi photosbypat,

Thanks for the story! I’m glad you learned to embrace the mud in the end, all campers have to…

Thanks,
    Becca

• Camping in Greenland the weather conspired to make it as difficult as possible. After 3 weeks of glorious summer sunshine and surprisingly warm temperatures (while I was staying in a house) the good weather broke on my first day under canvas. It rained for five of the six days. The sixth day we got hail stones because the temperature had dropped so much. The wind was so bad on two of the days I feared my tent would take-off when I wasn’t in it. I was glad to get on the plane to come back home as I starting to worry what was going to come next.

LauraF 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi LauraF,

Sounds like quite a trip! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks,
    Becca

• Scout camp in the Lake District. Six and a half days rain in a week, and cooking on wood fires.

Jeff Hoyle 20/11/13    Link Report

• First scout camp in February. Arrived fine, pitched tent and lit a bonfire to keep warm. Next morning woke up to 10″ of snow, frozen pipes at the scout hut, unable to light anything, no warm drink, no warm food. Put me off camping for life,

Aitku 20/11/13    Link Report

• I have always loved Camping so have mostly fond memories. Worst camping experience was when my poor Dad developed kidney stones and ended up in the hospital. We were days away from home and couldn’t go anywhere or do anything while he was in the hospital. All ended up well, but it put a damper on the fun for sure.

LisaB 20/11/13    Link Report

• Camping + sun + cider = happy days for about 4 hours..

Realising you are on a campsite of possibly a million people, you pitched in what looked a great spot..bit is actually the communal toilet so most of them are passing through your space.Made it through the night to enjoy the communal shower facilities, stone cold floor, smelly and hairs in the plugs, yuk no hair dryer..then it starts to rain..then you realise it smells..a lot. Taxi to the nearest chalet/lodge!!

Sarahdinnage 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Sarahdinnage,

Thanks for the story! I say thanks, it brings back some olfactory camping memories of my own…

Thanks,
    Becca

• My worst experience was at Benicassim, Spain. Kings of Leon were about to headline when there was a freak hurricane so the festival was shut down. Security sent everyone to their campsites. When I returned to my cheap flimsy tent there was a giant rip in it! My friend and I quickly rescued our things before the wind ripped our tent away. We spent that night in a local gym with the other ‘refugees’ who were drunk argumentative chavs.

Rachel Hawkins 20/11/13    Link Report

• First – glastonbury festival, cooking my curry in a tin, had a gas cooker malfunction combined with camp fire. I ended up drenched in gas, then caught fire! Much rolling around to extinguish myself to find tent with huge hole in it!
    Second – Florida camping, had tent driven over by someone not using their mirrors….. We me asleep inside it!

Miribilist 20/11/13    Link Report

• Our first night camping with two young children and a baby in a pram. A horrendous thunder storm broke. The lightening was bad but the rain was torrential. A large lake of water formed in a droop in the tent right over the pram and it was too wet to go outside to do anything about it. We didn’t sleep all night. Packed up and went home at first light never to camp again.

Lynne Box 20/11/13    Link Report

• You would think it pretty easy to erect a framed tent. Well I thought it would be but not ever having camped before I suppose I was a bit naive. I should have practised in the back garden first, but I didn’t. It also didn’t help that the wind was blowing quite strongly. So rolling up at the campsite and feeling very confident as I emptied out the tent from its bag I began to try to make sense of all the different poles. Which ones fit together? An hour later I had gathered quite an audience. The tent still was erected, my patience was fast running out and my embarrassment was growing by the second.

LorraineAlison 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Lorraine,

We’ve all been there, they’re never as easy as you think they will be…

Thanks,
    Becca

• Way back in the ” Singing Sixties ” when I was just 16 some friends decided to go to the Lake District camping and asked me to go along. I hadn’t been camping before so I agreed. We arrived in the dark and pouring rain and struggled to pitch the tent. We succeeded and settled down for a much needed sleep. During the night I woke to a commotion as the tent was awash. We had pitched the tent at the bottom of a slope and all the rain was pouring into our tent. We took shelter in a very smelly cow shed complete with cows!!! Needless to say I have never been tempted to sleep under canvass since.

Kermit 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Kermit,

That sounds so stressful! Not only for you guys, but the poor cows sharing their cosy shed with drenched campers…

Thanks,
    Becca

• I decided to take my 6 children on their first camping holiday to a farm site in Edale, Derbyshire. Shortly after arrival it started to rain. It didn’t stop for 4 days and nights and we were beginning to know what it must have felt like to Noah. When had finally exhausted every stitch of dry clothing we decided to call it a day and return home. Unfortunately I hadn’t noticed that with the ground becoming more and more boggy by the minute the camper van had sunk deeper and deeper into quagmire. Imagine the ignominy of the situation when I had to ask the farmer to tow us out of the field with his tractor!

LorraineAlison 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Lorraine, thanks for your answers. We only take one entry per person so will only put in one entry for you into the draw when the competition closes. Thanks again.

Lottie Gross 21/11/13    Link Report

• I love the great outdoors we were going to spend a week on a camp site.
    During this time we were going to sleep in our cosy caravan and the kids in a tent but guess who had to sleep in the tent not the kids.
    It threw it down and next to us was a small stream which grew bigger and bigger
    but we decided to face nature.
    We had a barbeque and felt satisfied we all settled down and we were getting soaked by the rain as we had a small hole in the tent. We tried to fix it but we couldn’t so we went to the car and slept.
    On the way home my youngest said whilst fishing a rat had sat next to him.
    We sold the caravan not long after that and the kids wondered why.

Linda Thorn 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the story! It sounds like quite a memorable trip!

Thanks,
    Becca

My family were going to spend a week camping.
    We were going to sleep in our caravan and the kids in a tent but guess who had to sleep in the tent.
    It began to rain but we all settled down to sleep but having a small hole in the tent we got soaked.
    We sold the caravan not long after that

Linda Thorn 22/11/13    Link Report

• Deep in the dark ages of the early 1990s.
    Place: Drum hill campsite up in derbyshire.
    Event: The live roleplaying “festival” the gathering.

Long weekend culminating in a mass battle… Lots of boozing on the intervening nights…

One night I returned to my tent to find it’d been fallen over, ripping the topsheet and breaking the ridgepole… Fortunately, it didn’t rain or I would’ve been really screwed.

spike1 20/11/13    Link Report

• I was about 8 and we had gone camping in December (it was cold!) I managed in the middle of the night to throw up all over the inside of the tent, over my sleeping bag and groundsheet – everything got covered…. my dad cleaned it up the best he could, however the bits he missed ended up frozen solid…. not the best experience!

paul 20/11/13    Link Report

• A very memorable experience in Jersey in 1970′s when a storm lashed Britain meant that a group of 8 of us returned from the pub to find that 2 of our 4 tents had completely disappeared!! All our belongings were soaking wet and we spent the night sleeping on the floor of the shower block and the next day drying everything out at the launderette in St Helier.

Vicki Jackson 20/11/13    Link Report

• Off to Wales, to stay in a caravan (not quite camping I know, but nearest I’ve got), car broke down going over the Severn Bridge. Called for rescue, car couldn’t be fixed, choice of go home or rent a car. We rented, so I had to drive as hubbie has limited licence, I hate driving. Rest of holiday a disaster as rained continually, so no walk up Snowdon, or much else, so grumpy husband cos no driving, and bored kids.

mrusty5 20/11/13    Link Report

• I was young camping on the St. Lawrence River. My mom was grilling chicken with her famous BBQ sauce. Suddenly, a swarm of mosquitos surrounded us. They were hungry! We ran into the camper but they were getting in. We thought we were going to be eaten alive by millions of mosquitos. The whole family us ran to the car and my dad drove off. Campers were sitting outside enjoying the campfire. It must have been that BBQ sauce!

Denise 20/11/13    Link Report

Hi Denise,

Thanks for the story, can see why it’s a family favourite!

Thanks,
    Becca

• I was backpacking in Yellowstone in October a few years ago when I suddenly had a major stomach bug. I woke up at 530 on a very snowy morning and began having rough issues on both ends!!! The Snake River Trail is amazing but having to cross the river at first light after a 5 inch snowfall was not all that fun. Frozen feet, wet up to my thighs from the river crossing, and no food due to not being able to keep anything down made for an interesting adventure. At mile 6 I had to cross the a snake again to make it to my soon to be warm car. The only good part was that I walked through a couple of warm springs to warm up my tootsies, that and I lost 8 pounds from being so sick!

Larry 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the great story; it’s good to hear you could find the silver lining…

Thanks,
    Becca

• A nightmare first ever camp out. Somewhere in Scotland (near Edinburgh) 1968. No car, we travelled by foot & thumb. Carrying a 2 man tent, 2 sleeping bags & very little else. After hitching & walking all day we arrived at the campsite ( a farmer’s field) in total darkness. By moonlight we managed to pitch the tent. Took pot luck for cow pats. We did have a small piece of tarpaulin as a ground sheet. I was just about to doze off & heard a noise under my head, sounded like scratching & then I could feel movement, a wriggling sensation, I lifted the tarpaulin & with the aid of a lighter discovered an area the size of a dustbin lid covered in big black beetles, hundreds of them crawling, wriggling & writhing. Horrified, I screamed & leapt out of the tent. Some other campers came to see what was going on, calmed me down, then kindly relocated our tent to a creepy-crawley free zone. To this day I still shudder when I think about it.

Anna 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the story – I think! I’m shuddering a little myself now!

Thanks,
    Becca

• When I was about 10 years old my scouting troop went on what should have been a fine trip. The weather did not agree. Not only was it cold and rainy the en

Susan Kelly 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi Susan,

What’s the rest of the story? The suspense is killing me! If you your entry to be counted, we need a full entry from you – but be careful to keep it under 80 words! Please make it a new entry, rather than posting is as a comment on this, though.

Thanks,
    Becca

• I have always said I would never go camping but whilst in Australia my friend and I booked a trip up to Ningaloo Reef from Perth. We wondered why the travel company gave us sleeping bags and then discovered we were staying in sheep shearers shacks along the route. A tent would have been preferable! Our rooms were like tiny boxes with two bunks in them, no air con..in fact no air!
    If we left the door open we had sheep wandering in at all times! With the door shut we were likely to cook during the night! When we lay on the bunk and looked up at the ceiling, there were hundreds of huge spiders weaving great webs up there! Geckos were all over the walls like decals in a child’s nursery! In the morning the showers were cold, communal and we shared them with more spiders!
    After that a “real” camping trip sounded luxurious!

Rowsie 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi Rowsie,

Thanks for the story! I hope Ningaloo was amazing enough to make up for your journey there…

Thanks,
    Becca

• getting to new quay with the family .
    we unwapped the tent ,only to find we ,d left the tent poles back at home.
    luckily a friendly shop keeper lent us a tent,so all was well in the end

mogsy 21/11/13    Link Report

• I think that the worst camping ‘surprise’ was when camping in my 20s. A group of friends went together and we had a tent for the girls and a tent for the boys. After a night of clubbing until sunrise (that is something we certainly do in South America) the boys returned earlier following dissapointing results. The girls had stayed for longer as they were having lots of fun.
    When we returned to our tent we found it full of leaves, sticks and even a log that took up most of the space. I can see the funny side now but at 7am and wanting to sleep that was the worst thing ever!!!

veroinuk 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi veroinuk,

Thanks for the story – I definitely feel your pain! You can always see the funny side of a prank later, but at the time…

Thanks,
    Becca

• Spring Bank holiday week 1992. Glorious sunshine and a great camping week in the Lake District. Subsequent year rained all the time, tent leaked, clothes and bedding saturated, put on wet clothes, walked in the rain then went in pub to get dry and then back out into the rain to get wet. It was not possible to see anything because of the rain, we walked around a rock to get rain blown at us by a cold hard wind.

Andrew Tattersall 21/11/13    Link Report

• Deciding to go camping with a big group of friends and their families/children was a wonderful idea. It was a lovely summer, the children all got on wonderfully and the chosen campsite was beautiful and located just a couple of hours from home.

My husband bought us a fabulous new tent (or so we thought). We were unphased that our eldest son is a wheelchair user, or that our youngest child had just turned 1 (so effectively we had 3 young children with us) … and we decided to take the dog too!

It was a hot sunny day when we arrived, we were in a private field, close to a river and it was really delightful. The children were all playing safely together and the the Mum’s rallying around rustling up snacks – whilst the men put the tents up.

Our tent was in 3 compartments, but 3 small compartments. We couldn’t stand up in it. My son in his wheelchair touched the roof and there wasn’t enough room to swing a cat! It was a tight squeeze with 2 blow up mattresses and a travel cot. Thank goodness the dog was behaving!

The first night not only did it rain – heavily, but all the midges from the river decided to invade us and we spent the whole evening, swatting, and itching and scritching and awoke covered in red blotches and swatted gnats!

Despite everything we did in fact have a really fun and lovely time – but the tent has NEVER seen the light of day since!

The first night

sjwfrance 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi sjwfrance,

Thanks for the story! It sounds like a lovely trip, shame about the midges though.

If you want to enter the competition, though, your entry must be a story of 80 words or under. You’re welcome to repost if you like – please do so in a fresh post, rather than as a comment on this, as it makes it much easier for us to spot!

Thanks,
    Becca

• I took my ten-year-old camping in west Wales for a week in August. It rained solidly for 24 hours. We awoke to find our clothes, books and board games floating in water at the bottom of our beds. The campsite entrance was flooded and we could not get the car out. Shivering and cold we walked into Tenby. ‘Book us somewhere hot and dry,’ I begged through chattering teeth. A week later we were on a flight to Turkey.

EllieB 21/11/13    Link Report

• My very first camping trip was as a guide leader . My job was emptying the chemical toilets into the lap pit .By the end of the week it was awful.
    Then having to pat the toilet tent to knock of the masses of earwigs that covered the inside. yuck. It didn’t put me off 17yrs later still at it.

olddutch 21/11/13    Link Report

• Campsite owner says, “I’ll charge you by the day, in case you leave sooner.” We thought, strange but agreed, paid and set up. Later we prepared dinner as the sun set, suddenly there were millions of midges. You couldn’t see for them, eat for eating them, and every inch of our skin was covered in them. It was like a scene from an infestation movie, so dinner was abandoned and we hid in our tents the rest of the night.

Danielle Ross 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi Danielle,

That does sound suspicious… Great story though!

Thanks,
    Becca

• In an idyllic spot in Scotland with my husband and sons. Unfortunately it appealed to the midges as well and in the time it took to pitch our tent we sustained many bites. We lit a fire hoping the smoke would keep them away and cooked some food only to find it was seasoned with a peppering of the little blighters. Our boys seemed to be immune to the bites but we adults looked like victims of a terrible pox.

Celine 21/11/13    Link Report

• Worst camping experience was a 17 day canoe trip in northern Quebec, Canada in July. My friend whose gear we used swore it was in good condition. We got set up on our first night out… and discovered that then tent was full of little holes. Northern Quebec in July is mosquito season! Every night was filled with battling mosquitoes.

We tried to tape up all the holes, but every night, the mosquitoes still managed to find their way in. Came home from that trip feeling sleep deprived and itchy!

loki7791 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi loki7791,

Thanks for the story! That must’ve been so annoying, I’d imagine you had a few things to say to that friend!

Thanks,
    Becca

• When I was 4yrs, we went camping to the Lake District. I have a peanut allergy, but at the time I hadn’t had a reaction for a couple of years. My parents thought they would let me try a peanut at the pub. Needless to say, the reaction came and my medication was in the tent. I remember the day fondly as the first that I was allowed a double ice cream cone (needed to stop my throat swelling!)

darcevada 21/11/13    Link Report

• WORST CAMPING DISASTER? FINDING A DEAD BODY.

I was on an overnight camping trip with four of my high school friends in the mid 1970s.

We decided to hike up into the Catalina Foothills, just north of the city of Tucson, AZ. This is located in the Lower Sonora Desert ecosystem, filled with saguaro, prickly pear, ocotillo and cholla cactus, lots of bird species, but very little shade or water.

It was for this reason that we were going to camp in an old mining cave, located at the crest of the front mountain range, elevation approximately 5,000 feet. Piece of cake for us teen delinquents!

Imagine our surprise to find a rotting corpse, right where we were going pitch our tents for the evening….

I think we set a record descent time down to the sheriff’s station.

True story.

traderman 21/11/13    Link Report

Hi traderman,

That’s… quite a story!! I think it’s definitely the most traumatic one we’ve had so far – well done on all staying cool and heading to the sheriff!

Thanks,
    Becca

• At a 3 day sports tournament on the first night a drunken reveller fell into the tent snapping several poles & squashing one of us girls, the next night a late comer squeezed their tent inbetween ours & another, it tipped it down soaking one of the bedrooms, I had a very soggy bed & sleeping bag & on the last night someone left the tent door unzipped & we all woke up to discover an indoor swimming pool

GoobIt 22/11/13    Link Report

• A week in Cornwall with 6 kids nd it rained every day non stop – we gave up drying stuff in the end and the kids swam all week and when they weren’t swimming they were in the games room, I’m sure my daughter became a slots addict age 8!! Only person stupid enough to camp in Cornwall during the last hurricane they had there! I was the only tent, I wonder why?? Luckily we survived but it was pretty scary in the night. Finally – this summer – Lake Lucerne – a cheap purchse of emergency accomodation to save costs – 2 man tent – well – once erected, we realised it was probably made for 2 10 year olds not 2 adults!! Laugh, we nearly cried and spent the night dodging each others elbows and knees – it was so small some of the backpackers were laughing at us!!

Haxson 22/11/13    Link Report

• My family were going to spend a week camping.
    We were going to sleep in our caravan and the kids in a tent but guess who had to sleep in the tent.
    It began to rain but we all settled down to sleep but having a small hole in the tent we got soaked.
    We sold the caravan not long after that

Linda Thorn 22/11/13    Link Report

• We went to Eskdale lake district in camping pods thought this was best as every other time we’d been it poured down and we had to abandon and go home. this time it poured down and while cooking breakfast the camping stove blew up frying pan just missed my partners face as he turned away to get something and most of it flew into the pod and narrowly missed my son and myself and popped the beds – disastrous.

jen

tweety53 22/11/13    Link Report

• I

GT12 22/11/13    Link Report

• I’d never been camping and my new bloke invited me to the Lakes with him and his mates. I had no gear of my own so had to share a single sleeping bag with a 6’4″ bloke. the zip lasted about 20 minutes….

lizardbush 22/11/13    Link Report

• Has to be my D of E experience when I was about 15. After walking a whole day in the wrong direction we found a police house in a country village and were kindly given a lift to the campsite in the back of a police landrover. At which stage it was dark and our teachers were fraught. After setting up in pouring rain a gas cannister exploded inside, luckily, an empty tent! Was great weekend though!

ladybird 23/11/13    Link Report

• Two toddlers, a dog and a tiny tent but all looked promising in the sunshine. Pit-pat, a few drops of rain never hurt anyone. Whoosh – the wind came out to play for the night. As we held on to the shivering tent pole, rain penetrated the canvas and a stream wound its way through sleeping bags. Toddlers sobbed and the dog stared in “I don’t believe it ” fashion. Next morning – soggy isolation – our neighbours had gone!

pjo77 23/11/13    Link Report

• I did a 2-day horseback riding trip in the Andes in Ecuador and didn’t realise how cold it was gonna be at night. So I only brought a thin sleeping bag, no sleeping mat. We went to bed early and when I woke up – freeeezing – I hoped it would be morning soon. It was only 10pm! I was in the worst mood the next morning because I didn’t really manage to go back to sleep and it was just a miserable night.

doedae 23/11/13    Link Report

• bivouacking in welsh quarry, woke up with a 4″ slug in my hair!

bonzo4 23/11/13    Link Report

• Camping when 12 in *Sunny Criccieth*.

The tinned meat/ tinned peaches/ tinned potatoes were not so much the problem (Bleurgh).

The animal (fox?!) getting in whilst we were away for the day and peeing over the contents of the tent (sleeping bag, clean clothes, pillow) was the thing that sort of took the shine off.

Still had two days left to go and not a washing-machine in sight.

Gutted.

Raquel P. 23/11/13    Link Report

• Booked a motorhome for our first camping break, left our car with the owner & drove to the campsite in torrential rain. After an awful nights sleep, kept awake by the noise of the rain we decide to cut our holiday short. We can’t take the motorhome back to the owner until following day so drive the motorhome to our house only to realise our house keys are in our car which is still at the motorhome owners house!!

JohnandSally Thorncroft 24/11/13    Link Report

• Our tent was nearly set alight by drunken neighbours somehow setting their gas canister on “flamethrower” mode and in their panic kicking it over to our pitch. Cue me desperately trying to alert my snoring friend to imminent and painful death by roasting while he insisted I was overreacting. Then had to assist drunk neighbours to extinguish flaming gas – their attempts with glasses of water had been unsuccessful – I haven’t had the courage to camp since, oddly enough!

Stefan Philip Ingram 24/11/13    Link Report

• Our tent was nearly set alight by drunken neighbours somehow setting their gas canister on “flamethrower” mode and in their panic kicking it over to our pitch. Cue me desperately trying to alert my snoring friend to imminent and painful death by roasting while he insisted I was overreacting. Then had to assist drunk neighbours to extinguish flaming gas – their attempts with glasses of water had been unsuccessful – I haven’t had the courage to camp since, oddly enough!

Stefan Philip Ingram 24/11/13    Link Report

• When I first went camping I wasn’t very good at getting the tent up because of all the missed stakes I had. But then I met my husband and he had no trouble at putting up a tent because he has perfect pitch. He told me to relax, because I was like a wigman or a teepee – two tents. Campers need to have a positive in-tent, he said.

doublet 24/11/13    Link Report

• My worst camping experience was when I was camping in a campsite with friends. In the middle of the night I nipped out in the pitch dark for a wee. In a nearby bush something rustled and moved in front of me (I think it may have been a squirrel or bird) but it made me jump so much I screamed and ran back into my tent and jumped into my ‘bed’ with my ‘boyfriend’. Very quickly I realised it wasn’t my boyfriend, and the middle-aged couple that I had now dramatically disturbed screamed even louder than I did. Mortified!

Elizabeth Gurney 25/11/13    Link Report

• my worst camping experience was with a new boyfriend when i was 18,he seemed all nice at the start but when we didnt get along the tent collapsed and that was the end of that a lift home and bye bye for good

Mary Kes 26/11/13    Link Report

• My worst camping experience was in Inverness. It rained all night and the tent nearly blew away. We had to relocate to the laundry room at 4.00 a.m as the tent was literally in a foot of rain. Never again !!

davidfendick 26/11/13    Link Report

• Went camping with the cubs when I was younger and I ended up wetting myself on the first night.

Traynor21 26/11/13    Link Report

• My worst camping experience was in my friend’s back garden. There were four ten-year-olds crammed into a two-man tent and I remember waking up squashed against the side which was soaking wet, shivering & uncomfortable! It definitely put me off & prefer more spacious camping!

Isis1981uk 27/11/13    Link Report

• My worst camping experience was in my friend’s back garden. There were four ten-year-olds crammed into a two-man tent and I remember waking up squashed against the side which was soaking wet, shivering & uncomfortable! It definitely put me off & prefer more spacious camping!

Isis1981uk 27/11/13    Link Report

• Generally speaking camping is for the young – and the young in heart. However skills needed for camping are better learned when one is fit in body, sound in mind and young in spirit! Being a bit older than ‘middle aged’ my husband and I decided to introduce our grandchildren to the joys of camping in the fresh air. Great folly! We were new to camping ourselves yet off we went with three little boys and a ‘borrowed’ tent plus some new accessories. Why is it the little things that cause the most problems in life! Pegs! just not enough for the job and it was dusk already and the little ones were hungry and tired. Not being very experienced it took a while to realise the ground sheet was rotting and had pulled away from the tent! What a nightmare! There was about a 4 inch gap all round, we were on a slope, and the wind was whistling through! We decided to deal with priorities so fed the children and ended up putting them to bed in the car! We were too far from home and it was too late to return home so poor long-suffering husband and I attempted to sleep on 2 old blow-up beds that in fact deflated and left us lying most of the night on rough, stony ground! Moods were not good and the backache was truly awful! Anyhow, to crown it all it started to rain – quietly at first then it became a torrent and suddenly the tent collapsed over my husband leaving just his legs and feet showing! At the time neither of us found it in the least amusing so we decided to get up and make a hot drink. It was about 3.30 am and we didn’t want to wake the kids but by about 5 am that was it, we threw everything in the car and headed for home. Never have we appreciated our own bed so much in our lives! Funny thing is the kids knew nothing of what had gone on and told their Mum and Dad that they had had a great time! Well, glad someone enjoyed it! The moral of the story is NEVER trust what someone says if you borrow camping equipment! Chances are they have had it stored away and really have no idea of the condition it’s in! Best buy new!

flora1 27/11/13    Link Report

• Camping at the wharf hotel on the river severn,when the river flooded,Complete nightmare,Went home

Shirley Evans 28/11/13    Link Report

• We went on a family camping holiday to Conway when myself and my sister were much younger. A gang of us went including aunties uncles and cousins etc. We were playing a game of football when it got a little bit competitive and my sister kicked the ball towards the trailer tent awning, it went into the awning and knocked over the chip pan which very nearly set the whole thing on fire. Thankfully my mum had just done washing and threw one of the wet towels over the chip pan instantly. When my mum came outside of the awning we had all scattered and there was no one to be seen. We braced ourselves for when we returned to the trailer tent!!!

jenfreckles 28/11/13    Link Report

• Me and my Husband were on our retirement holiday, touring Europe on an 1800cc Goldwing motorbike and we planned to be away for 10 weeks. Five weeks in and we were in Port Grimaud in the South of France.
    Terry started mumbling first thing in the morning and he walked over to the campsite toilets. When he came back he was very confused. The Campsite owners directed us to the local doctor and after waiting to see her for an hour, advised us to go to the local hospital in St Tropez.
    They kept Terry in overnight, and I went back to the campsite by taxi, and remember studying the insurance details. It looked like Terry was covered for him but he had only covered the bike and trailer to be taken back to England if the bike broke down.
    The next morning, another taxi to the hospital where I found Terry totally out of it and paralysed down one side due to a massive stroke.
    This was the worst experience of my life, and because we were abroad and was not seen in the first 3 hours, his recovery was probably not as good as if we had been here.
    Terry stayed in hospital for 3 weeks and was air lifted home. The insurance paid for me to stay in a hotel, and they arranged my flight home as well.
    Due to the wonderful biker friends we have, one of them drove our bike back home for us, and then came back and stayed with me and his wife in the hotel.
    It’s now 6 years on, Terry is registered disabled and has slight learning difficulties, but he his still here and we have had to adjust to other things. A woodland cabin sounds wonderful.

Patricia Edwards 28/11/13    Link Report

• Mine was in Cornwall. It rained every day for a whole week and was really heavy. The last straw was on the last day thank goodness as the rain had come into the tent and I was literally floating. Complete Nightmare.

Dawn Henson 29/11/13    Link Report

• Having met some fellow Brits in the USA on a camping adventure tour, we decided to reunite and relive the experience when we got back to the UK, on the sunny Isle of Wight. It started off swimmingly… Until the end of a mallet flew off and dented my car bonnet, we couldn’t heat our beans because we’d forgotten to buy matches, and worst of all… the campsite’s bingo evening was cancelled due to lack of people. Devastating!

stueyb 29/11/13    Link Report

• Robin hoods bay, had to camp on a slope for two nights, so our first meal which took an hour to make was ready , I put mine on top of the cool box and it slid straight on the floor, could not sleep due to rolling, and rain, went surfing in a gale the next morning and came back to my wife , son and neice holding into the remains of the tent which had almost blown away by the wind.

Richard braithwaite 29/11/13    Link Report

• My first attempt at camping in the TA meant setting up our ‘tent’ rather hastily and not realising until we went back at night that we’d set it up directly over a steaming, stinking cow pat! We couldn’t move it so just had to put up with it as our tent mate!

GuruOnAMountain 29/11/13    Link Report

• Having our tent set fire to by some random arsonists during Tin the Park festival 2009.

Kemmers 30/11/13    Link Report

• I came to camping late, as an adult and am convinced that’s why I don’t love it. Worst experience was having an entirely sleepless night due to high winds and a very flappy borrowed tent. The second night I slept in the car…uncomfortable but quiet!

jenhegarty 30/11/13    Link Report

• I went camping for the first time in South Africa with some mates I met in Europe. Not knowing anything about camping I bought a 2 man tent and enough supplies to last me a month. We were only going for 3 days.
    We were literally in the middle of nowhere. No electricity, running water or any humans for miles around. The first day I thought it was amazing. Wildlife all around, preparing meals on an open fire. Real man stuff. The thing that no one took inconsideration was the bathroom arrangements. We had to dig a hole and do the business in the bush. That’s ok but we forgot the loo paper. One of the French guys suggested leaves when the wet wipes ran out. Great…I was desperate took the shovel and squared down over my new loo. After 5 min I reached for a plant to complete the cycle just to find out all the leaves had small thorns on. I was in agony for 2 days. With cactus-like thorns all down…well you can finish the sentence.
    I’ve never been camping since.

Stretch 01/12/13    Link Report

• In July 1969 I decided to hitch-hike to Switzerland from Sunderland as a bit of an adventure. My pal came along, but we had no experience of camping between us. After enough mishaps en route to fill a book we eventually reached our first campsite outside Lyons. We’d never put up a tent before, and didn’t realise that we needed a groundsheet, so just pitched on the grass. Bad idea! Reaching Lausanne we checked into a hostel.

David Bell 02/12/13    Link Report

• Yosemite’s alpine lakes were stocked with rainbow trout years ago. Complete novices, we headed off main Hetch Hetchy trail with blow-up raft and fishing rods. Tony butterfly stroked us to the middle of freezing lake. Beginner’s luck – I caught the first fish. Second cast -snagged…PPffffffffff.. We were sinking. Once ashore, we spotted 3 bear cubs; with no choice we warily approached. Ready to offer our trophy trout, momma bear turned away. Terrified, we scurried back to our tent… with dinner.

kcoronges 03/12/13    Link Report

• First time camping in Wales we had to borrow various items, including an airbed.

Starting off the blow up in the 2 man tent, soon enough we ran out of space.

Finally moving out into the rain, the airbed gradually started to take shape… of a settee type airbed.

The thing was massive. After numerous attempts to get it in the tent, we had to admit defeat and spent the trip sleeping on a slanted muddy slope with no bed.

loren7017 04/12/13    Link Report

• Whilst camping in Norfolk, a huge storm literally lifted our tent from above us and whipped it down the field, there we were hopping and tripping around in our sleeping bags in the wind & rain, trying to catch the tent before it blew too far away!

Claire Eadie 04/12/13    Link Report

• To this day watching a Cravendale Milk advert freaks me out. I was at a campsite in Yorkshire with friends in a quiet farming area, I had slept well in my tent the fresh air helps me sleep but I’d left the entrance open as the morning sun had been turning the tent into a sauna , but I cannot begin to explain the sheer terror at waking to find a cow poking his head through the door in the morning !!

Kat seaward 06/12/13    Link Report

• Being a keen camper I agreed to support my daughters guide pack a couple of years go,
    Disastrous !!!
    It had rained for days before – pitching in the right spot was crucial for a dry weekend…
    It didn’t stop raining the whole time – MY fire lighting skills put to the test with wet wood!!!.
    Then, 50% of the girls caught a vomiting bug – and the guide leader too….. No sleep, no warm food, no patience!!

Karen Louise Oultram 06/12/13    Link Report

• My ex put the tent up wrong, it poured with rain and I woke up in the middle of the night with the tent touching my nose.

loobyvee 09/12/13    Link Report

• Our first (and last) family camping holiday. Picked what looked like a good spot and managed to pitch the tent only to be told that we couldn’t camp there !! So dismantled the tent, chucked it back in the car, ignored my sons moaning from the back (something about the boot ), found the right spot and ……. found the tent poles had fallen out of the boot which wasn’t properly shut (should have listened to my son after all!)

Sue Cole 09/12/13    Link Report

• “It’s not bears you should worry about, it’s the cougars”. Great. “Actually, you won’t see one unless it’s decided to attack you, so don’t worry about them either”. Ah, cool. And with that the Ranger left me to it. I hoisted my food away from the bears and with the prospect of silent death from an invisible feline, I chugged cheap rum and nursed my sunburnt back. Welcome to California!

Tom 10/12/13    Link Report

• Summer 1995, seven 15 year olds. Up to Coniston in dad’s old milk truck. Pitched tent, forecast good…. Bike ride…… 5 miles from camp started to rain. Was a storm within half an hour. Returned to find the old 8 man tent collapsed with poles bent. Consoled by two experienced campers. Stood there chatting to them about how experienced they were when mate pipped up “so whys your tent on fire” Anyway….. back came the milk truck!

spykes 11/12/13    Link Report

• My first ever scout camp. It rained all week, outside loos, mud everywhere, communal cooking. it didn’t put me of, I spent another 10 years with the scouts with numerous hikes and camps.

Mike Eckersley 11/12/13    Link Report

• Camping with my parents on holiday in Oslo. The campsite was really busy and there was only the one place to pitch the tent – at the bottom of a long concrete slope. It rained heavily during the night, to the point that the tent was completely surrounded by a raging torrent of water. Thankfully the Vango Force Ten remained pitched but it was several hours before we were rescued and all that water had only one effect on your bladder!

E Taylor 13/12/13    Link Report

• We put up our tent in the dark, as we’d gotten to the site late. It was pitch black and raining and all I could think was what a bad idea this was. We were woken in the early hours by “MOOOOOOOOOO”, which scared us both out of our sleeping bags. Turns out we’d pitched a tent right next to a field of cows. We hired a caravan that day!

silverbird 14/12/13    Link Report

• download festival OMG the rain and wind was a nightmare the mud was running inbetween the tents like a river! it was so deep it came over our wellies we spent the day in the arena to come back to our tent 4 inches deep in mud!! so no clean clothes or bedding ! that night my hubby was outside at 3am butt naked trying to save the gazebo from blowing away ….HELL on EARTH then ….but hilarious now !!

o0otallicao0o 14/12/13    Link Report

• On a trip to Florence we discovered that all the camp sites had been booked up by French coach parties. We spent the night in our sleeping bags on the roundabout in front of the main station – and it rained.

stvgreen 14/12/13    Link Report

• Aircrew Survival Training 1971, Actually it was really if we can break you training your out before you really begin. It was a test of how we individuly coped and how we were as a member of a team. Yorkshire Moors in winter Cold, cold, cold. Walk, Walk, Walk, Build a bridge do this do that. Heavy backpack, miles and miles, wet and cold yet sweating. Hating the Discip guys trying to break us. Team Tent all cuddling close to keep warm, One man on team having a bad time, rest of team helps him by carrying his backpack, discip guys keep telling him he they can call a landrover to take him somewhere warm ie chop him. Food emergency rations good but same old same old. Best thing I learned was never go camping or walking without Barley Sugars. Finished RAF after 41 Years and 4 days, the 4 days are important as they are the ones spent on that Survival Course.

Lesevans6 14/12/13    Link Report

• Our tent blew away on a wet and windy night in the Lake District. We spent the night in the car. The next day we went walking in our only dry clothes and got wet through. Followed by another night in the car.

hughese 14/12/13    Link Report

• Got to be a very wet holiday in wolacombe, devon. High winds and very soggy ground not good for canvas and ground pegs. Spent the night hanging on for dear life hoping not to take off! Nightmare.
    Also sliped over on way to toilets and ended up covered in wet mud. Couldn’t of gotten much worse.

Michelle Tearall Was Shepherd 14/12/13    Link Report

• It was mid summer a few years ago and me and two of my children and a friend were sitting in our small caravan. Outside there was thunder and lightening so I told silly but supposedly true ghost stories. Suddenly a clap of thunder and we all screamed I heard a noise outside opened the door and the camp site moggy squealed and ran inside in a crazy state with half of its backside hanging out and later we found out covered with fleas.
    I don’t know who was more scared us or he cat and what was it running from that’s what scared me. We were scratching all holiday thanks to the fleas and I told the campsite owner off next day and the animal needed a vet pronto.
    It still makes me laugh .

ghost23 15/12/13    Link Report

• When I was camping in Dorset, we had terrible weather. I had my tent at the top of the hill stupidly and it rained so much that day, my tent fell down the hill. I was on my blow up air bed at the time and that fell down the hill to, it was a bit like a rollercoaster and I was lucky I didn’t hit anything.

James9875 15/12/13    Link Report

• Camping in Scotland on ground which turned out to be marshy. Then bitten alive by midgies and ended up having to sleep in the car. A horrible experience !

lawyles 15/12/13    Link Report

• went to glastonbury with my best friend and we had forget the tent – tried to fashion something out of black bags – luckily my mates dad drove and bought the tent so we no longer looked like a couple of hobos lol

denisew632 15/12/13    Link Report

• I learnt at the age of 14 what the phrase ‘mixing your drinks’ meant. Me, my sisters and my Mum were packed into our tent sleeping like sardines when I woke up in the middle of the night, was horrendously sick over everyone and my loving Mum was left scooping the mess out with her brand new camping pans. Oops.

nazsargeant 15/12/13    Link Report

• The worst was staying on a site after a concert and there was a very drunk girl who cried and screamed most of the night at her boyfriend making no sense whatsoever. In the morning their immediate neighbours had disappeared and there was red stuff all over the outside of the tent (assumed it was ketchup).

C Nelson 15/12/13    Link Report

• A (very) long time ago, camping under canvass with the Scouts, a friend of mine, Nigel, sat too close to the camp fire.
    The rubber on the soles of his shoes melted !
    As a friend, I helped take off his shoes ! ……………..
    MISTAKE ! !
    Yes, I got melting rubber on both palms & yes, it was as painful as it sounds !

aiw1952 15/12/13    Link Report

• Camping in a field with a friend at the age of 11…., we’d had a BBQ that night & clearly not cooked it properly so I got food poisoning with sickness & diarrhea! As it was just a field, there was no toilet! As if that wasn’t bad enough, we had the loudest thunder & lightning that night of which I am still wholly terrified! Surely that must be worthy of a win..!

Yoda78 15/12/13    Link Report

• Turned up with a tent with no instructions and no idea how to put it up. Myself ,another friend and four kids in torrential rain didn’t make for happy camping. Eventually a nice man came to our aid. We spent the next 2 hours trying to put the gazebo up in windy conditions,to be met by the security guard on our return back to camp after an evening out, to be told it needed to be taken down!

Kazza44 15/12/13    Link Report

• at 18 went camping in Newquay with Boyfriend, It was last night, I was putting my PJ’s on in the tent when suddenly cramps, when looked I had turned, unfortunately wasn’t expecting it ,had no sanitary protection on me! My boyfriend at the time was mortified as he thought he was in for passionate nite, when I told him he had to go shop to buy some tampons/pads, he was mortified at the thought of purchasing such women items!

mackemprincess 15/12/13    Link Report

• My partner decided to be all romantic and whisk me off for the weekend camping in Devon. We pitched up, went out for a meal and got all snug in our tent. The food didn’t agree with me and i was violently sick in the middle of the night, except i didn’t manage to make it out the tent. Not so romantic! The weekend was ruined!

livewire 16/12/13    Link Report