CLOSED – WIN a bundle of great travel tech

Congratulations to our winner Fiona King, who’s travel selfie was taken in St Tropez.

Want to win some top of the range travel tech? Upload your favourite travel selfie as your Rough Guides Community profile picture, reply below to tell us what’s in the photo and you’ll be in for a chance of winning an amazing bundle of prizes, including an iPad Air, a Nikon DSLR, binoculars and a CoPilot GPS app.

Find out more about the prizes here: http://bit.ly/1m6jqO8
Competition closes 23:59 BST on 15th May 2014. UK & US entrants only.
Full terms and conditions here: http://bit.ly/1l0XGS8

Lottie Gross 15/04/14    General travel chat Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

172 Replies Date Popularity

My selfie was taken at Fort Whyte in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I was just looking in there shop and found this awesome racoon hat and wanted to see if i could pull off a #DavyCrockettSelfie

tropicalskyadam 15/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Edinburgh, Scotland. My boyfriend and I were backpacking through Europe and we decided to take a city tour bus because we only had one day there. We took this selfie and I was only trying to get a picture of us two and then after taking the picture I realized the gentleman with the video camera in the background! It turned out to be such a silly picture, hahaha! Had to keep it!

Rachael 15/04/14    Link Report

• My seflie was taken while ‘jumping off’ Victoria Falls…myselfie..and the camera made it back save#mustdo

Kevin 15/04/14    Link Report

Amazing. Love the rainbow too.

Tim Chester 25/04/14    Link Report

• In DC.

olivia 16/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie is of my partner and I at Yosemite National Park in California. We’d just had a little picnic and had spotted some bear footprints nearby. We sat on a log and admired the beautiful view behind us for a good long while as we couldn’t seem to drag ourselves away from it! Our friends have said that the scenery here looks like an oil painting, it’s so beautiful!

JourneyWthJenny 16/04/14    Link Report

Beautiful.

• My travel selfie was taken in Barcelona at this year’s Holi festival! It’s the first time I’ve been to a festival like that, and the first time I’ve ever been on someone’s shoulders! An amazing afternoon of messy, colourful fun!

RubyJubilee 16/04/14    Link Report

This looks like so much fun! Nice one :)

Lottie Gross 25/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken last week in Cozumel with a stingray :D

aaron90 16/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken on Krali Marko mountain, near Prilep, Macedonia. I got lost in the fog because I had no map or indications, but I managed to get down to the city.

Mihai Popa 17/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken outside the entrance to the Angkor temples in Cambodia! I was driven there by a tuk tuk driver named Jason after watching the sunrise over Angkor Wat. Totally worth the 5am wake up call!

Kelly 18/04/14    Link Report

• Our selfie was taken in New York on St Patricks Day 2014 with the Empire State Building in the background which had the Irish flag in lights at the top!

siobhanruck 18/04/14    Link Report

• My awesome underwater selfie was taken diving off the Australian Coast :) nothing like the threat of a great white approaching to press that button quick!! No time to pose….

Carla Liamell Morris 19/04/14    Link Report

• My pic is from a brilliant road trip holiday in the US. It was taken at Rainbow Falls, Mammoth Lakes, California which is a heavenly beautiful place. The hike to get there is breathtaking not only because of the scenery but the altitude and the temperatures too. I decided to get this picture because I was so astounded at the size of the pinecones and I was certain that I wouldn’t be able to do them justice when describing them to others. I think you can get a pretty good idea of the scale here!

Splorer 19/04/14    Link Report

• this is me and my 2 girls it was our first family holiday and i took them to the place i have loved all my life St Ives in Cornwall we enjoyed deep sea fishing seeing the sea lion island (on a very blustery day for the sea) went to several beeches during our holiday it was just amazing.

sam2kids 19/04/14    Link Report

• Selfie was taking just after sunset on the beach @ Boa Vista in Cape Verde, November 2013, I’d just proposed & she said yes! We’re getting married this year in the Italian Riviera in September…..the prize could be an early wedding present :) !!

Gib 19/04/14    Link Report

• A selfie of me and baby vervet monkey “Precious” from my time volunteering at the vervet monkey sanctuary South Africa, such a rewarding experience.

samoyed 19/04/14    Link Report

• Mine was taken at the Bacolod Masskara festival it was simply amazing.

Kathy Cakebread 19/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken whilst on a well earn’t break from work in Banff, Canada. I managed to get a few runs in, making the most of the fresh powder. I was in Banff working in the hospital as part of my year volunteering in hospitals around the world.

RJEllis 19/04/14    Link Report

• I wanted to see different sights of London and found it when I walked to the Thames Barrier. Stunning views that all to myself.

Jonathan Newby 19/04/14    Link Report

Awesome – definitely worth pushing on up the river away from the crowds.

I did try pushing further up river but the path was flooded. I learnt that in the UK stick to High ground in winter and lowland in the summer

Jonathan Newby 01/05/14    Link Report

• Yellow shoes, Halong Bay
    Some days previously in Hoi An, a lady chased me down the street, clutching a pair of Yellow loafers, insisting we were made for each other. So there on the pavement , i tried them on, and Cinderella like they fitted. I was going to the ball. Sitting on the deck of a Junk, watching the eerie limestone karsts silently glide by, in Halong bay.

tautau 20/04/14    Link Report

• My travel selfie is of me and my husband on the beach, in the rain on our honeymoon in Cuba. It rained for 10 out of 14 days and destroyed our camera- as you can see from the water smear in the inside of the lense! We had an amazing time though and have promised to go back for a second honeymoon in future where we hope for better weather and much better photos as all of ours had the water smear on!

ami84 20/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken on safari at Addo Elephant Park in South Africa. Next on my list is Kruger! :D

Jen 20/04/14    Link Report

• Our selfie! My sprogs Izzy n Alfie and me! taken at Disneyland Paris 5 days ago! Their 1st holiday and time on a plane!! Great memories! x

roleymartin 20/04/14    Link Report

• Mine was taken on my first ever holiday abroad in Kefalonia… Driving along very steep edged cliffs with no barriers and spotted this perfect photo opportunity at the spot in Kefalonia they use for all their postcards!

Bop1108 20/04/14    Link Report

• Holiday with wife in Lech Austria first week 30c second week 6c with snow. Lost path in snow 2 hours extra walking to get back bigger smiles when back in hotel

David Blair 20/04/14    Link Report

• This is my selfie on a recent trip to California, taken on the coast road between Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz, so many amazing views.

Simon C 20/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Liscanor, Ireland (very exotic, I know!) Beautiful place, awful weather.

Aimee 20/04/14    Link Report

• Whilst Trekking in Nepal we stayed in a village called Ganjengompa. There was a mother and baby goat next to the teahouse we were staying in. Whilst the mother goat was away me and baby goat had a photoshoot. He seemed pretty happy about it

Tom McKenna 21/04/14    Link Report

• My picture was taken on top of Mount Kelimutu in Flores, Indonesia – it has 3 craters at the top that are usually different colours, the one in the background was shrouded in mist as it was 5am and we’d just watched the sunrise – it was fantastic, well worth the 2 day drive to get there.

welshboyed 21/04/14    Link Report

• Well this is me and my better half having a break on a walk around the port of Picton on the South Island of New Zealand when we were doing our round the world thang. Picton is where you get the Interislander ferry to/from Wellington which you can see in the background.

mikeoutandabout 21/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie (camera timer) was taken whilst on safari in South Africa where I proposed to my girlfriend with the zebras in the background, amazing holiday and one we will definitely remember. ps she said yes! :-)

csteggle 21/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie (taken on remote with my other camera) was taken along the beautiful walk up to Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto, Japan. Hundreds of these orange gates line the 4km path all the way up the mountain in an extraordinary feat of 500 year-old engineering.

Nick Jackson 22/04/14    Link Report

A beautiful, serene place even when full of people – was there 3 eeks ago!

cadsmum 13/05/14    Link Report

• Taken in Paris by myself. Managed to pull in some adult sightseeing as well as the trip to Disneyland!

papworth 22/04/14    Link Report

• Not the best photo ive taken by far, but taken in a wonderful place, trying to capture the wonderful rolling fields full of tea leaves in Munnar, India.

Chris Davies 22/04/14    Link Report

• This is our selfie taken at Madinat Jumeirah, Dubai trying to get the Burj Al Arab in the background

Xxemma1xX 22/04/14    Link Report

• my selfie was taken at the top of the Pyrenees on a brilliant cycling holiday with my husband. We had just cycled up the Col de Santigosa reaching a height of 1064m. As you can see we were pretty happy with ourselves.

Janet Humphrey 22/04/14    Link Report

• From a february hike in National Park Velka Fatra, Slovakia.

pro2n 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken backpacking in the Delaware water gap. Not at all technically the most difficult hike, though with snow on the ground it made the experience much more interesting.

Adam 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken at the Delaware water gap. Not my most difficult or exotic hike, though with the added half foot of snow the hike became very interesting in itself.

Adam 22/04/14    Link Report

• In the jungle of Bukit Lawang, Sumatra-toughest hiking that I’ve ever done-hot, humid, difficult climbs, but oh so worth it to find and track orang-utans in the wild…..It would probably help to clarify that I’m the one in the foreground!

Christian Jones 22/04/14    Link Report

• After carefully placing the camera on my back pack, I set the self timer and ran to join my friend for a selfie on the Golden Gate bridge. This shot captures the moment a cyclist decided to swerve around us and get involved.

lsyko 22/04/14    Link Report

• This is me and the wife on a flight from Kiev to Dnepropetrovsk on our wedding day last year.

wobblycol 22/04/14    Link Report

• Taken in the incredibly clear and warm water off the Tulum Ruins with my iPhone 5 made waterproof by the SLXTREME. Never leaving home without it again!

ndargani 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taking Mountain Biking past the waterfalls in Minnewaska State Park in New Paltz, NY.

racerxnyc 22/04/14    Link Report

• This is me chasing sunsets in Bagan, Burma. Me and my friends buddied up with a few locals who took us on a boat across the Ayerwaddy river to a small, uninhabited strip of land, where we watched sunset, built a bonfire and shared good food, good drinks and good laughs until just before dawn.

Cory Lopez 22/04/14    Link Report

• This is a selfie of me & Birbal Guru in Pushkar India in the 70′s,,,,,

Neil2 22/04/14    Link Report

Brilliant!

• On our honeymoon visiting the last remaining wonder of the world, I asked my wife to take a photo of me leaning against it, thinking it would make a cool selfie. Ahh but how wrong I was. Only thinking to check the photo out on the flight back to Sharm, I will forever be tarnished with this utter fail of me blocking one of the greatest sights in the world.

Clark Bishop 22/04/14    Link Report

• My travel selfie is in the middle of a breathtaking (literally) hike across the backbone of Isla del Sol in Lake Titicaca on the Bolivian side. It was one of the most amazing places I’ve visited in my life.

Denise L 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken just outside Cuzco in Peru on my acclimatisation trek for the climb to Machu Picchu through the Lares Valley. It’s clear that the llama is the glamorous one in the shot – she was wearing earrings and everything!

amy 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken pre-selfie by a 70-year-old woman who climbed up to Angel’s Landing (Zion National Park) every year to celebrate her birthday. Access is by reaching hand over hand along a ground level chain nailed into the rock surface. If she can do it, I can do it.

Amy Theerman 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Rome, Italy inside the beautiful Colosseo! I was backpacking throughout Europe and HAD to make it to the Colloseum. We had lunch at the pizza place next to the Colloseum and went there afterwards. I was mesmerized by the beauty both inside and out that I had to take a selfie with it! :P It may be the typical tourist place, but it is a must see/do in your life!

Jill 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie is from the Australian Outback. We took a helicopter ride around Uluru (Ayer’s Rock) and The Olgas (a truly unique perspective), and I decided to snap one of my first selfies!

Brad Harrison 22/04/14    Link Report

• Mine was taken during last year’s Queen’s Day in Amsterdam. It was the day the new king was getting sworn in in the background on the main square!

Alicia 22/04/14    Link Report

• Selfie was taken as we sold our home, belongings and headed out on a very long tour. Nine steps to becoming a Nomad and 32 years with my navigator.

Richerforwandering 22/04/14    Link Report

• Great post and competition. My selfie was taken on a memorable boat trip from St. Tropez to Nice last year. Fabulous journey, very glamourous sites,

janeyf 22/04/14    Link Report

• Prince William & Kate may have seen the Three Sisters from Echo Point recently but on my visit to The Blue Mountains in February all I could see was a complete white out! No selfie there then but no worries, back in Katoomba the RSL club provided the perfect backdrop.

farcelt 22/04/14    Link Report

• my selfie was taken at kronberg fortress in germany! =)

chandraisenberg 22/04/14    Link Report

• Finding my sole on the island of Hydra, Greece.

Wanda 22/04/14    Link Report

This looks so perfect…

• My selfie is of my partner and I in Finland sat on a sled behind reindeer in -16c. The main purpose of our trip was to see the fabulous northern lights which we did on three nights. An amazing action filled once in a lifetime experience.

Lynne Box 22/04/14    Link Report

• Taking a break from driving along The Great Coast road on the South Island in New Zealand.

ren 22/04/14    Link Report

Did you make it to the Hobbit town?

Richerforwandering 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in London outside Liz’s Tower/ Big Ben with the sunlight breaking through. i dont really do selfies but I liked this one so I kept it.

Michael Stone 22/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Abu Dhabi on the Corniche. I’m a cat person and I met this very friendly cat there at sunset who loved cuddles and tummy rubs. I was trying to position her on my lap to take a picture with us both in it and facing the camera, but being a typical cat she wasn’t having it and this is one of the better shots.

Gavin 22/04/14    Link Report

• This is a picture of me on my first beach trip to I think Savannah, GA. It was taken before people used Instagram filters.

John 23/04/14    Link Report

Love this!

• My selfie was taken in Lanzarote on a recent diving holiday where I qualified as an advanced diver !! Whoo hee. Red Sea here i come.

Fiona Haward 23/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken on our interrailing trip through Europe. We were leaving Sarajevo, and got this shot just in time before a train came hurtling back in the other direction! But made it to Budapest in one piece! Such an awesome trip, would recommend interrailing to anyone.

tommoj316 23/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken at the mount El Teide Tenerife two years ago. Me and my boyfriend were exploring the island for the first time in March 2012. It was a great holiday, fantastic memories and even better pictures, not excluding our best and funniest selfies.

tscharna 23/04/14    Link Report

• Here’s us loving April in Paris. Thankfully the children are now older so the usual travel paraphernalia has been reduced down to a carrier bag!

tiptoptig 23/04/14    Link Report

• Just got back from Cebu, Philippines a few weeks ago – what an amazing place! This selfie was taken at the beach after swimming with whale sharks in Oslob.

SarahAnthro 23/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken at the top of Adams Peak in Sri Lanka, we climbed the peak in the early hours so we could watch the last sunrise before Sri Lankan New Year & was blessed by a Buddhist Monk. One of the best experiences of my life!

jess-peace 23/04/14    Link Report

• My wife and I have just returned from an adventure around the pacific north western states of the USA and British Columbia in Canada to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. My selfie is taken on board a boat mid way through a killer whale watching trip in the coastal waters off Vancouver Island. Unforgettable.

Dbeardo 23/04/14    Link Report

• This is me watching the sun set over Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives after three glasses of wine in the hotel opposite (note the glazed eyes).

lollypops82 23/04/14    Link Report

• I took this at the end of a beautiful hike in the Israeli desert. We walked through warm streams and hung out under a waterfall. Amazing country.

Noah 23/04/14    Link Report

• My brother and Dad and I went on a driving trip along the coast of California. We spent a couple of days in Palm Springs, where the roads are long, empty, and lined with either desert or golf course – I decided to take a little spin to explore the neighbourhood. #BadKid

David Sebastian 24/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in the premises of Ranikot Fort. It is believed to be the World largest fortified fort with a circumference of approximately 26 kilometers. Since 1993, it has been on the tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Ahmer Khan 24/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Montreux, Switzerland. We are sat around Lake Geneva with absolutely beautiful views. This was the calm point, of what turned out to be a very busy trip!

samlikestea 24/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken by me – a few moments after i nearly lost my phone in the water! This is on a boat coming back from seeing the Statue of Liberty in NY! Heading back to downtown Manhatten, where we spent the rest of the day watching a guy with only half a beard play the drums on the street….was prettyyyy awesome!!

SGK! 24/04/14    Link Report

• While traveling with friends can be fun, traveling alone can be equally, if not more, exhilarating to the soul. After waving goodbye to my friends of 2 weeks, I crammed my luggage into a locker at the Kyoto train station and went without an agenda for the next few days.

The freedom of traveling with only a day pack gave me the ability to follow just a rough agenda as I explored the random cities that dotted the Japanese landscape. In this selfie, I’m staring out the window of a high-speed train as I make my to Osaka on a whim – and as “traveler’s luck” would have it, I found myself smack dab in the middle of a gigantic snowman (i.e. Christmas) festival complete with glögg, Santa hats, and an electric string quartet playing Christmas music.

Matt 24/04/14    Link Report

• This is my wife and I in Torres del Paine national park in Patagonia. We quit our jobs last October and have been traveling ever since. After spending three months in South America, we have now been in Europe for almost two months. Our time in Patagonia has definitely been the highlight of the whole trip. This photo is just a quick view of how unbelievable Torres del Paine is.

yinandstimpytoo 24/04/14    Link Report

• My travel selfie is of me and my favorite person. It was taken on Easter Island in December 2013, just one month into a trip that we are still on today. We had a feeling that seeing these moai up close was just the beginning of many adventures to come. We were right!

yinandstimpy 24/04/14    Link Report

Amazing!

• My selfie is my boyfriend and I at the Tower of London with the London skyline in the background.

jck0127 25/04/14    Link Report

• Here is my travel selfie of myself and my best friend. She took me to Paris for the day for my birthday and we had the most amazing time.

Mandy Mason 25/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie with a Queens guard looking rather unimpressed was taken at Buckingham Palace!

caitlinrio 25/04/14    Link Report

• This is a selfie from when I was in Safari in the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania. I think it’s safe to say my mane put some of the lions to shame.

Rose 25/04/14    Link Report

• When selfies go wrong. This was taken in Casablanca in February, outside the Hassan II mosque. Bit of a self-timer error, but I quite like it.

Kingy35 25/04/14    Link Report

• This is a selfie of me in the Falkland Islands, on my first day in the South Atlantic. We saw Commerson Dolphins at Surf Bay on the first day!

Hansmithy 25/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Lakshman Jhula (Rishikesh) at the holi festival. My friends and I had arrived early in the morning after a long overnight bus journey without a guesthouse booked. We ended up looking like this after a few hours searching the town for some accommodation.

Jade Whiston 26/04/14    Link Report

• My girlfriend and I climbed the Great Wall of China at a section near Beijing that was quite an adventure! We didn’t see another sole for about 5 hours, the whole hike took 7 hours and there were some parts we genuinely thought we might die, hanging off the edge of rocks and wishing we were more experienced climbers than we are! My selfie was taken nearer to the end when we got some hope back and could appreciate the beauty of this great wonder of the world.

Gfunk 26/04/14    Link Report

• I have registered and my profile photo is my Selfie I took while on a holiday in Malta. I went to Malta to celebrate my birthday. Malta is a lovely warm island with warm people and lots of fascinating history.

Jeremy Andrews 26/04/14    Link Report

• I don’t take selfies too often but here’s one that I just couldn’t resist. I was staying in the small village of Galena for a few days back in March this year – the village is located on the Yukon River in Athabaskan Alaska.

One morning the temperature was -38C, the coldest that I have ever experienced! When I stepped outside in the early morning the sunlight was so fiercely bright reflecting off the pure white snow and I could hardly see anything. I went down to the banks of the immense Yukon River to absorb the splendour of this amazing landscape around me – the absolute silence in the pure white morning. Water droplets in the air froze on my eyelashes forming amazing ice crystals. And then I took this selfie with the frozen river behind me …

StardustVoyager 27/04/14    Link Report

• I climbed on this steed at Schloss Spiez in Switzerland and I thought it was a real horse, but it was a phony. But it turned out to be very stable to ride.

spaceship 27/04/14    Link Report

• Visiting the Jewish Museum in New York City. Went for a show by Marc Chagall, Actually enjoyed this piece by the art collective “threeASFOUR” just as much…

paulhammacott 27/04/14    Link Report

• My travel selfie was taken in Oahu, Hawaii on Kamehame Ridge hike! (Also known as the Dead Man’s Catwalk) The photo was taken on the edge of the cliff, looking over the beautiful ocean!

Amelia Houghton 28/04/14    Link Report

• I’m feeding kangaroos in Phillip Island, Australia: unforgettable experience! This little guy was more interested in posing for my camera than me though!

Marta Safin 28/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken at the London Eye with a great view of the city. I had invited my 14-year old nephew to London – his first visit. He fell in love with city instantly and I am glad I gave him the chance – and he caught the travel-bug.

Per Sommer 28/04/14    Link Report

• My adventurous selfie was taken outside a small shrine in Beppu, Japan. It started out as a wet and cold morning that morning, but when this picture was taken, there was a small break in the clouds. Off in the distance, I could see the bay and mountains with pillars of steam from traditional Japanese baths (onsens) in the distance. This day was definitely an adventure, and I suggest that anyone who is going to visit Japan, should definitely take the road less travelled, and visit smaller, more traditional towns in the beautiful Japanese countryside!

James L 29/04/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, my first stop on the trans-mongolian railway. The train arrived very early so to kill time (and save money, true backpacker style), as the hostel didn’t open till midday, I decided to hike several km’s from the station. Stopping here to enjoy the view and catch a breath.
    An epic train journey recommended for all.

alcb4 29/04/14    Link Report

• My picture was taken in front of Öresundsbron, the bridge connecting Copenhagen and Malmö. I’d met my long-distance boyfriend of 3 years for the first time.

H. 29/04/14    Link Report

• mine was taken in hong kong x

Izzy Smith 01/05/14    Link Report

• I took this on one of the most crowded tuktuk/bajati rides I’ve ever been on. It was a fun night out in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) and was followed by a lot of craziness (playing bingo with a ton of indian immigrants, dancing to live music, getting harassed by locals at a club, taking the ferry back to our house at 4am…) In this picture I had no idea what was to come…

(On this note, I’m not based in either the US or the UK (yet I have family living in both of these countries) Such is my luck – this was still a lot of fun and a cute idea :))

Kristina 01/05/14    Link Report

• Learning to surf in Waikiki, Hawaii!

ceecee 02/05/14    Link Report

• http://www.roughguides.com/community/members/tanja-k/

My selfie was taken in Bled in the church on the island in the middle of Bled Lake. I’m ringing the Wishing Bell in the church. This bell tells you its own story…

There was a tenant of Bled around the year 1500, who was not a very good master and peasants rebelled against him and complained to the bishop and the emperor. One day he disappeared. Rumor has spread among people that he has been killed by bandits. He was no longer seen and his widow mourned for him. She gathered all the gold and silver, which she had kept in chests, in memory of her husband. The bell for the chapel on Bled island was poured from the accumulated wealth. When the boatmen ride the bell on the island, there was a great storm, and both boatmen and cargo sank . The bell, which sank in the mud in this stormy night still rings from the depths of the lake. The widow was very sad leaving the castle and went to a monastery in Rome. The Pope heard her sad story, and gave the order to cast a new bell cast and sent it to the island.

Today you can ring the Wishing Bell in island’s church and perhaps your wish will come true.

Tanja K. 03/05/14    Link Report

• Quite an old pic that one. Ziarat Ka Ka Sahib, Pakistan, outside the home of Ghulab Abbas.
    I was waiting for an Iranian visa 6 wks in Pakistan so took week-or-so trips away up-country between visits to the Iranian Embassy. On the way to Peshawar I got talking to a language student who invited me to his Uncle’s place where his dad and two brothers were also staying. Eventually I said “why not” and found myself changing buses at Nowshera and taking a tinny wind-up bus to ZKKS. There were no lights and my dead rechargable torch gave only seconds between darknesses. I was sure I would die.
    We arrived and my new friend entered, to ensure the women were moved upstairs (my reputation preceded me??) I then went in. Everyone else had eaten but we ate a meal with our hands, cross-legged on the floor, while my life history was translated into Pushtu (I don’t THINK it was Urdu). I was given a salwar kameez to change into and everyone slept around the room. On couches, sat up in chairs, with a luger under a pillow or curled around a rifle.
    Next day I got some selfies with my new buds, including that one with the rifle slung over a shoulder (& pointed at my head). There was gunfire in the distance. “What’s that for?” “Huh? What?” “Bang bang??” “Oh. Nothing. Birthday? New gun maybe.”
    I left with a wave and got back on the road to Peshawar where I got thrown off a bus headed for the Khyber Pass. “No foreigners, too dangerous!” The Russians were there, you see. Told you it was a while ago!

Dale 05/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Edinburgh, Scotland. I live in Fife, which is just outside Edinburgh across River Forth. I went up Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh next to Holyrood Palace and Scottish Parliament. It was a nice sunny day in Capital, so why not take a climb up the old volcano mountain and take a selfie. When i’m always up Arthur’s Seat i find it very peaceful, relaxing and enjoyable.. as let’s out any negative energy you may have before going up. It’s also relaxing when listening to music or even doing a bit photography or sketching parts of Edinburgh in distance from edge of the mountain.

Calum Buchan 07/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken at Inspiration Point in Yellowstone National Park a week after my longterm girlfriend leaving me. At that point it was the most peaceful place on Earth

MichaelBlyth 09/05/14    Link Report

• This dashing selfie of mine was taken in a remote mountain village called Dorzé in Ethiopia, as part of a ‘back to the roots’ kind of trip. I visited the lands where my roots run deep, met family i have never known existed and danced around fires and wore the clothes my forefathers wore with pride. Hope it fits me as well as it fit them!

Lancelot Blondeel 11/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken at Labuk Bay in Borneo. We’d fought very hard to have a day off from our volunteer work to go there and see the wild Proboscis monkeys . They were absolutely beautiful and I still can’t understand why they are second on the list of the world’s most ugliest animals. ( my husband thought one of the males looked like my father!)

Jane Moffatt 12/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Sabah, Borneo. We had travelled there because my son James had had a long-held dream to see Orang Utans. Just before we left for home, he announce that he also really wanted to see a Rafflesia flower. We who wouldn’t want to see the largest flower in the world if they had the chance?

Mark Moffatt 12/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie is at Mount Cook, New Zealand, waiting for a minibus to take us to explore Lake Tasman and the glacier with our 3 children – by road, boat and foot.

bornfree 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken at the near-derelict Eastern State Penitentiary( built 1830) in Philadelphia last summer. It was taken using the large swing mirrors located at the centre of this wheel& spoke-shaped prison – they enabled the guards to look down the long corridors of cells without moving from their posts – great place to visit and quite a contrast to Alcatraz ! ( well i like that kinda thing ).

Lucysureoffoot 13/05/14    Link Report

• My picture was taken at The Roaches in Derbyshire with my sons Ellis and Shae. It was at the start of a days adventure climbing , walking and taking lots of pictures.

sean1667 13/05/14    Link Report

• I hate cold. Or at least I used to. And I never cared too much about travelling to anywhere other than big metropolis. It all changed when I first sailed through a fjord, in Norway. This year I’ve been travelling inside the Arctic circle. If the Western fjords are worth a visit, the Arctic ones are worth three. My profile picture was taken on top of a mountain in the Balsfjord. It had never crossed my mind to go to such place. And to love it.

carolina sarsfield 13/05/14    Link Report

• My travel selfie was taken whilst snorkelling off Caye Caulker in Belize with the most beautiful, warm clear sea. I saw plenty of sting rays, turtles, tropical fish and we even swam with sharks (friendly ones) whilst managing to fit in a selfie too.

Rachel Hawkins 13/05/14    Link Report

• This is me and my husband on our 1 year RWT/honeymoon, it was taken at a New Years Eve street/town party in Flores, Guatemala, hence the big twinkly Christmas tree lights in the back ground – Feliz Navidad was also being sung on the stage by some Guatemalan crooners.

Joed80 13/05/14    Link Report

• This was taken in June of last year on the beach at Cala Boquer, Majorca and shows the strong family resemblance between me (right) and my mum. It had been a difficult trip in that she experienced a terrifying episode of transient global amnesia during a boat trip (do Google it!) which required a trip to A&E and a prolonged stay on the island as she was prevented from flying for several days. This was the first proper walk we had been on since and the first chance to both smile again.

lisajobby 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken at Playa Del Rey beach on the Pacific side of Costa Rica after we had just completed a 6 day charity trek through the rainforest from the highest point on Cerro De La Muerte at 3500m to this beach. It was such a tough challenge with between 10 – 12 hours trekking each day through heavy rain, swamps and mudslides but once we reached our finish point at the beach it was the best experience ever and we ran into the sea to celebrate. 15 of us raised funds for The Children’s Adventure Farm Trust.

jenfreckles 13/05/14    Link Report

• Was bushwacking a trail in northern Thailand, but the bush wacked me back.

barrycluff 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie is of moi’ with the Gold Coast, Australia behind me last month :) I find it hard to get decent selfies as my wheelchair makes me so much shorter than everyone/thing else lol!

ladygogo84 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in India near the ganges in the back of a bicycle taxi. I like my friend getting into the photo on the bike behind us.

helga16 13/05/14    Link Report

• Here is me and the family travelling around Somerset, in the UK. You don’t have to be far from home to be on a travel adventure. And I love this shot because it features my 87 year old grandparents in their first (and probably last) ever selfie

rachel b 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken mountain biking in front of the falls at Minnewaska State Park, NY USA

racerxnyc 13/05/14    Link Report

• Lost in blissful oblivion — wandering around Mykonos in the early AM with not one other soul in sight…

explorer_gal 13/05/14    Link Report

• Selfie taken while on holiday at my friend’s farm in Helton, Cumbria.

Simon Coward 13/05/14    Link Report

• This selfie was taken on the exotic Island of Kecil in Malaysia. Whilst hiking around the mountainous perimeter, we came across this wonderful little habitat, and after we’d made ourselves comfy in the hammock and swings, we realised it was a private community and left quietly. What a wonderful little home though!

MichaelaTravels 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken whilst in Minneriya National Park in Sri Lanka. The elephants were leading their young to the water hole and crossed our path just behind our jeep. Such beautiful creatures.

Gasbag 13/05/14    Link Report

• This selfie of my honey and me was taken in front of the incredible Edinburgh Castle in Scotland.

melodyandrex 13/05/14    Link Report

• My ‘selfie’ taken when on a train journey from Kumamoto to Hitoyoshi, Kyushu, Japan. Really scenic, with switch backs, tunnels, a preserved steam engine at one station and locals selling their produce in a 5 min stop!!

cadsmum 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken with my honey on a recent trip. We are standing in front of the historic and extraordinary Edinburgh Castle in Scotland. ♥

melodyandrex 13/05/14    Link Report

• In 2009 I had been sick with flu and rotten colds 3 times in 3 months and my immune system was beaten. I decided I needed sun but in March no-one had money or annual leave left. So I booked a week in St Lucia on my own – scary but turned out perfect. I talked to other people when I wanted to, read some great books, visited lovely places like a rum factory, and the pitons as well as le sport where I had a massage and an amazing afternoon. Best of all I came back so rested and refreshed I didn’t get another cold all year. Shame you cant get a holiday on prescription lol x

Tabitha99 13/05/14    Link Report

My selfie is from the early eighties hitching through europe :)

ravenmoon3 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in a small village in Czech Republic called Smrzovka near the Polish border.

While I was in Prague I was invited to come visit a very small (7 employees) custom car maker called Kaipan who makes awesome minimalist hand-made open-wheel race cars similar to a Lotus 7 or Caterham. This pic was taken as we were flying around the roads in the gorgeous countryside.

And don’t worry, the owner of the company was driving, not me :)

Christopher Burdick 13/05/14    Link Report

• It was 35ºC. I’d just picked up a (completely unfamiliar) rental car from near Union Square and had enjoyed a white-knuckle ride through San Francisco’s rush hour traffic. This selfie was taken at Vista Point on the far side of the Golden Gate Bridge where we’d pulled in to take a break before heading on up to Napa. Boy, was it hot!

gnarlybole 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken on the salt flats in Bolivia. We were so excited to take this trip and when we got there, the salt flats were flooded! It was still an incredible trip and one of my favorite places in the world that I’ve been lucky enough to visit. I was also sporting my brand new llama jumper this day

ruthjc 13/05/14    Link Report

• Travelling through Paris, enjoying the gorgeous spring weather in one of the most beautiful cities on earth. It’s been ages since I’ve been, and I hope I can return one day!

SheaSW 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie wasn’t taken that far from home, in Ilfracombe in Devon last month.

Jamanda 13/05/14    Link Report

• 2010 – I was travelling through Western Europe when the volcano Eyjafjallajökull erupted. Suddenly, half of Europe was shut down. Planes were grounded, you couldn’t get a ticket on a ferry or train for love or money, and of course, everyone was bunching up in the major cities like Paris in case any airport opened and they could hop on the first flight out. While conditions weren’t great waiting (overpriced crappy hotels, the same cheap food, spotty internet), all us strangers/travellers banded together – helping each other make calls, finding out local hotel lobby’s hidden power plugs to charge phones, all so we could get home, wherever our home was. I was never so happy to be on a train then the moment I caught a spare seat on the train to get the Eurostar back to London.

almost witty 13/05/14    Link Report

• This is me and my innovative design to keep the dirt out of my eyes from the gusting winds atop one of the many mountains in Quito, Ecuador. This pic is more practical than it looks because even though my Buff was covering my face, I could still see through it. The wind hiking up was so strong, it felt like you could blow away at any moment. It was that kind of wind where you lean back and you’re almost fully supported. Definitely scary but the view on top, maravilloso!

Nadia 13/05/14    Link Report

• on a trip to vegas we popped over to the grand caynon to take a few selfies oh and see the amazing landscape

cathryn1 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken on Palolem Beach in India on Christmas Day to be a festive greeting for my little sister

Jasonf 13/05/14    Link Report

• Our selfie was taken in the worlds scariest, ricketiest, most outdated – but amazing lift inside ‘Hotel Saint-Michel’ in ‘Grand Place 15′ in Brussels. The lift is 80 years old – and it really does feel like you’ve been transported back in time 80 years when you get out of the lift and overlook the awe-inspiring Grand Place. (The lift still has the orginal velvet/velour green fabric floor to ceiling). It rumbles, it rocks, it makes very scary sounds, but it really is the KEY to starting a magical night overlooking The Town Hall of the City of Brussels & its ‘magic town square’, that oozes life from dusk to dawn…Prepare to travel back in time!

vanpopple 13/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken on our honeymoon in Mexico where I had the amazing opportunity to swim with Dolphins. I loved every minute of it as they are wonderful creatures. Hope to go back one day.

Susi Galley 14/05/14    Link Report

• This selfie was taken at the ‘Cristo Redentor’ (Christ the Redeemer) statue in Brazil. You don’t see it in the news etc. But it is *so hard* to get a photo of yourself and the big guy in the same frame. I was there with my phone trying to position my face and there were all these tourists giving me Looks. The end result is a win though! :D

LibraryTasha 14/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie is of me and my boyfriend as we skied between Switzerland and Italy in December last year!

nicola 14/05/14    Link Report

• Taken after a tear inducing climb in Morocco’s Anti Atlas Mountains. We’d eaten some boiled eggs and bread and had barely seen a soul for two days. The sun was warm, the sky blue and we took some time to enjoy the simplicity of life. This selfie is a snapshot of a special place and time.

Farawayvisions 14/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken tiger shark diving in the Bahamas last year, and though I look scared, I was in fact terrified!

pravin1 14/05/14    Link Report

• My Selfie was taken on a cultural trip to London. Can you see just how cultured I was being?

NESSY956 14/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken hill walking in Gunnerside, Yorkshire Dales. We were doing part of Wainwright’s Pennine Journey from Buckden to Gunnerside. Happy days as it was with my parents, good British family fun! Hurrah!

carmenb 14/05/14    Link Report

• My Selfie was taken in Thailand on Koh Phi Phi – truly one of the most beautiful islands i have ever visited. Could not have seen the best of the Thai islands without my Rough Guide! thanks for an amazing competition – fingers crossed!

phia44 14/05/14    Link Report

• A casual selfie in front of the Fritz Koenig metallic sculpture ‘The Sphere’ in Battery Park, August 2010.

William David Wilson 14/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken by camera timer in dubai when we went there for our anniversary! we visited my cousin who lives there. As I dont drink alcohol he brought non alcoholic champange.took this selfie and posted this to everybody joking he caught me drinking!!

Prerna Gupta 14/05/14    Link Report

• An inadvertent selfie. We were in Thailand, in a boat, on our way to the floating market. The camera seemed to have stopped working …

storming 14/05/14    Link Report

• That’s me, on the right. You can see where we are. My partner didn’t have a hat with him and his head is rather sensitive to the sun. Luckily he had seen Monty Python. I don’t know who they thought he was, but there was a whole succession of Chinese tourists wanting to take photos of him. Brad Pitt, perhaps?

Netty 14/05/14    Link Report

• My photo was taken as we were walking between the villages of Gulmit and Passu in the Karakoram Highway (KKH) in Northern Pakistan. The view is north towards the Passu Cones and the border with China which we would cross the following day. I am wearing a Pakistani Shalwar kameez and a digital SLR.

22camels 14/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Ubud, Bali. It was in the exceptionally busy hog roast pork place on the corner of Monkey forest road. Amazing pulled pork with rustic salad all sitting wherever you can find! Fresh coconuts and the perfect place to watch the world…and take selfies :)

rachaelsit 14/05/14    Link Report

• Island hopping, the next day after climbing up Mount Kinabalu on the New Year 2011.

A.Y.I. 14/05/14    Link Report

• Enjoying a local beer in Hue, Vietnam

happyhooe 14/05/14    Link Report

• This great selfie was taken in St. Johns while snub diving, a combination of snorkeling and scuba diving. The water was so warm and clear it was amazing!

bdorius 14/05/14    Link Report

• Quite obvious where my profile picture was taken.
    Cairo in Egypt – I managed to go to see the pyramids during a sand storm :) I was quite shocked to learn that one of the most amazing places on earth was so close to such an ugly dirty and unatractive city.

penelopa024 14/05/14    Link Report

• This was taken last summer whilst backpacking through Europe. I’m at the top of Vesuvius here.
    This was something that was on my ‘wish list’ of things to do before I left, but I’d pretty much given up hope that I’d be able to do it. In the end I just thought ‘stuff it!’ one day and went for it. It’s one of the best memories I have from my entire trip.

becks 14/05/14    Link Report

• My travel selfie was taken in Cuba in the middle of a square in Havana. It was as hot as it looks!

Kirsten Miller 15/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken while diving in the Caribbean, I’m the one that’s not wearing yellow.

Dave Ashman 15/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken on a once of a lifetime trip to the Grand Canyon. We had just taken a helicopter ride and then had a picnic enjoying the amazing views over the Canyon.

moonraker 15/05/14    Link Report

• Here’s my selfie – bobbing about in the Caribbean sea in a tropical paradise. I wish I was still there!

Danni Miller 15/05/14    Link Report

• my selfie was taken in es cana ibiza nice

gasman687 15/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken on an idyllic island off Sihanoukville coast in Cambodia. In the background I never knew that my fiance was watching me as he was swimming, then photobombed my selfie! – see top left hand corner!

Elizabeth Gurney 15/05/14    Link Report

• just spent 2 hrs tring to upload a pic your system wont work

gasman687 15/05/14    Link Report

Hi there – sorry to hear you’re having trouble. It seems to be working fine for us at the moment, but as a work around you can create a Gravatar account with the same email address you used to sign up on RoughGuides.com and upload your picture there. This will sync with your Rough Guides account and you’ll be able to enter. If you need any more assistance, email [email protected] and we’ll try to help.

Lottie Gross 15/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Mevagissey, Cornwall. Behind us you can see one of our favorite beaches which was such an effort to climb down to but so very worth it in the end. It was beautiful!

anniebellajane 15/05/14    Link Report

• This is the first photo taken of my husband and I on our honeymoon in Kenya. Here we were enjoying our first sundowner, standing on a platform overlooking a watering hole in the Selenkay conservancy. We watched the elephants come for water as the sun went down. Kenya is magical, travelling and staying with Gamewatchers meant we had an authentic safari experience whilst supporting the local Maasai people.

Librarylady 15/05/14    Link Report

• This picture was taken on the island of Boa Vista, Cape Verde on the last night together of our ‘honeymoon’ – the following day my new husband left to join his RN ship for 6 months deployment and my daughter (who he is a wonderful father to) and I flew back to rainy England! Maybe not the most exciting holiday but it was lovely to be together for a few days before saying goodbye again.

jozah 15/05/14    Link Report

• This selfie was taken in the waters around Hong Island, Krabi in Thailand. Its also where awesome Red Bull Cliff Diving competitions take place. Definitely a must for this year xxx

missnisaa 15/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie was taken in Ljubljana, Slovenia.

Andrew Graham 15/05/14    Link Report

• My selfie is of me and my boyfriend at the Acropolis in Athens!

jadangel2001 15/05/14    Link Report

• Trekking in the Black River Gorge National Park in Mauritius. The beauty and serenity were breath taking. We got lost for hours and enjoyed every moment of it. Not long after this photo was taken we met several wild pigs. An awesome experience and one I would love to repeat.

Lucy L Richards 15/05/14    Link Report

• Me and my bestie (of 37 years) in New York, celebrating our 40th birthdays

Mooshimanda 15/05/14    Link Report

• This is a picture of myself on a guided tour of downtown Tokyo

Missionready09 16/05/14    Link Report