Which country/attraction gets your fortune?

Bit of a morbid one, but inspired by this gentleman’s financial legacy left in Sidmouth, Devon (UK):

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/29/death-money-will?CMP=twt_gu

So I’ve been thinking about where I’d send my money if I had any to donate on my deathbed – it’s got to be Kenya for me… better transport infrastructure in the north would open up a whole world of possibilities for the locals and tourists!

Which country, town or attraction would you leave money to on your deathbed?

Lottie Gross 02/09/13    General travel chat Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

4 Replies Date Popularity

This is an odd thing – should he not have donated it before he died so he could have the chance to see the million flowers? Clearly I have terrible trust issues as I’d be suspicious that, in the certain knowledge that I was already dead and therefore in no position to complain, the council would spend the money on bulbs for traffic lights, dog-poo bins and yellow-line paint. There’s no way it’s going to go on a million flowers.

But if I were feeling optimistic I’d give to the National Trust so they could try and stop the southwest coastal path falling into the sea. So sad to almost literally see it falling away before your eyes.

Clare Currie 02/09/13    Link Report

I have the same trust issues clearly, I suspect they would siphon off all the money to nice expense accounts!

Michael Huxley 02/09/13    Link Report

• The Isle Of Wight, as long as they renamed it TC Island.

Tim Chester 02/09/13    Link Report

Genius! Why didn’t I think of that… Perhaps they’d name the roads in Kenya after me. I can see it now: “The Gross Highway”.

Lottie Gross 02/09/13    Link Report

• It certainly WOULDN’T be my local town council or ANY council in the UK, they get enough damn money in taxes to stuff their bloated pension pots and non job salaries.

In fact I wouldn’t give it to any country or government.

But (assuming that I had any cash on my death bed) I would actually dish it out to a number of animal conservation groups and charities, the smaller, local ones that are struggling to do good work such as BAWA in Bali, elephant conservation camps in Thailand or tiger conservation in India, for example. These are the issues and causes that are close to my own heart.

Michael Huxley 02/09/13    Link Report

• Yeah I agree with Clare about the trust issues. Legacies – financial or otherwise — are more often than not taken for granted. I would donate my money (assuming that I will have enough worth donating) when I am considerably old and don’t have much use for it, but am sane enough to ensure it is utilized well. I would donate it to children charities in Delhi and Mumbai, especially the ones that work towards uplifting beggar-children. The begging industry is highly evolved and morbid in India.

Nishi Jain 05/09/13    Link Report