What to see in Malaysia for 6 days, heading south

I am currently in Thailand, Koh Samui. I have until June 28th to spend time in Malaysia and currently have no plans. I just want to be in Singapore by June 28. Since the monsoon season is here in Thailand, I would like to stay on the East coast and hopefully catch some good weather. Any suggestions as to places to visit in the next week? I am a single Female traveler, in my early 60’s. Not interested in trekking, but love nature. Shopping isn’t a high priority as I have spent a week in Bangkok, and will be in Singapore for 3 days and Hong Kong for a week come Sept.

I have heard the Perhentian Island and Redang Island is nice, but don’t know what the weather is like now (June 2014). Also, have no idea how to get to these areas from Koh Samui.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

sallyh16 18/06/14    Activity and adventureMalaysia Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

2 Replies Date Popularity

I spent a few days in Taman Negara which is just inland from the northeast coast of Malaysia. It’s the world’s oldest rainforest and you don’t have to trek to enjoy it – the sights and sounds from the village where the hotels are in the rainforest are enough to give you a flavour of what’s hiding away in amongst all those trees. We got there by taking Jungle Railway from Singapore which can be done both ways. Thoroughly recommend it – the scenery is stunning and meeting locals on the train was a pleasure!

There are some interesting little towns along the way – perhaps not huge amounts to do for a tourist but plenty to do for a traveller who wants to learn a little more about local life in Malaysia :)

We also heard lots about the Perhentian Islands – other travellers raved about them – so if I was going there again I’d definitely make the effort to visit them.

Enjoy your trip!

Lottie Gross 19/06/14    Link Report

• This is one of my favourite countries! But if you haven’t had your fill of islands I would definitely head to the Perhentians on your way down. Also check out Georgetown if you do. It is an amazing place to spend a few days. Definitely check out KL or Taman Negara is a fantastic place for some jungle trekking and a bit of nature. Mallacca is an amazing, relaxed little town in between KL and Singapore, well worth spending a few days. If you still want another island before you hit Singapore then Tioman island is a short bus ride away. Then hopping over the causeway to Singapore is easy.

You really are spoilt for choice!

As for transport, trains and buses are plentiful and the best way to get around, but if you are short on time you may want to consider a budget flight instead.

Michael Huxley 20/06/14    Link Report