What do you think of graffiti on the Great Wall of China?

The Great Wall of China has been given a designated graffiti zone (Read: http://bbc.in/1oFGKkW), where tourists can leave their mark in an assigned place rather than defacing other areas of the wall (which is actually quite a common occurrence).

What do you think about this new rule? Should the Chinese authorities be advocating graffiti on one of the most famous monuments in the world, or should they ban it altogether and police the situation more strictly?

Lottie Gross 10/03/14    General travel chatChina Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Personally I quite like it! People always want to leave their own mark on the places they love, and this way it can be controlled a little better. I just hope some people do something interesting or beautiful there…

Rebecca Hallett 14/03/14    Link Report

• I personally can’t stand it. I am a history/archaeology buff and advocate the restoration and protection of historical sites. Tourism does damage yes, but the revenue should go back into preserving the structure.

Instead of advocating graffiti they should definitely be policing it more and punishing those responsible more harshly. If idiots want to leave their mark by scrawling their names on a wall it is easy to place a brick wall in a town or city for that purpose, not on a historical site!

Michael Huxley 21/03/14    Link Report

• I think it’s great! I left my mark on the wall and as long as people do so respectfully I think others should too. Most of the markings I saw were only temporary as they were written in chalk. So in the long run they aren’t doing any damage and are helping people to engage with a remarkable monument.

Emma Holifield 31/03/14    Link Report