three-day hike in catalonia

Hi – I’m in Barcelona for a week in August. I’d love some recommendations for a three day walking itinary, preferably in the mountains, possibly on the coast. I’d like to start and end in places that can be easily accessed by public transport from Barcelona. I’m looking for low- to mid- range accommodation as I go. I’m fairly fit but given that it’s going to be really hot, don’t want to be too ambitious with distances – 20 km per day maximum. Any hints/advice/ suggestions/ book/guide recommendations would be very gratefully received!!!!

Clare Shaw 25/07/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

2 Replies Date Popularity

Hi Clare,

Sounds like a great trip! Barcelona is a beautiful city, and though I haven’t been hiking in the surrounding area myself I’m sure there are some great spots. Montserrat is a good spot for some mountain walks, and easily accessible from Barcelona. Tarragona is another nearby historic spot which has some pretty amazing surroundings, and is also coastal. There’ plenty more info on the in The Rough Guide to Barcelona, as there’s a chapter on destinations out of the city.

Hope this helps as a starting point! Spain.info has some good information on hiking routes in the region and their difficulty, so you may find it helpful in building an itinerary. Have a great time in Catalonia!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca Hallett 29/07/14    Link Report

• Hi Clare,

I know this reply comes in late, but I would like to place it anyway for those reading this subject and still coming to Barcelona. For a nice day out hiking you can get the ferrogarril to Montserrat. Take the cable car up and you will be able to start your hike from there through a most amazing landscape at a height of around 1200m. There is also a monastery located on the height of 726m, which is a very popular excursion from Barcelona to see their religious saint, Montserrat, the black Madonna. you can easily hike for half a day even a full day with good signs guiding you through the mountain.

Greating, Robb

Robb 04/12/14    Link Report