Special restaurant in Rome?

I’m arranging a surprise trip to Rome for my mum’s 60th birthday – can anyone recommend a restaurant that would be good for a reasonably priced celebratory meal?

Alison Roberts 08/01/13    Food & drinkItaly Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

9 Replies Date Popularity

The Pocket RG to Rome has a few options in there, including Piperno (in the atmospheric Ghetto), Dar Filettaro da Santa Barbara (al fresco – delightful), Da Tonino (an established, local favourite) and La Gensola (the place for a special meal; it serves Sicilian food, heavy on the fish).

It might not be particularly Mum-friendly but the slightly rough-and-ready Pigneto district hides loads of cool little restaurants: you could try the good-value Pigneto Quarantuno or swankier Primo al Pigneto.

Lucy Kane 08/01/13    Link Report

• These sound brilliant – thank you for your help!

Alison Roberts 09/01/13    Link Report

• San Crispino, around the corner from the Trevi Fountain, is well worth seeking out for a gelato treat – it attracts plenty of customers year-round, but if that’s not a good sign, I don’t know what is…

Ed Wright 15/01/13    Link Report

• Sounds like a must do! Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Alison Roberts 16/01/13    Link Report

• Da Bucatino, in the Testaccio district, is really good. Try the Butacini all’Amatriciana.

Kia 16/01/13    Link Report

• Brilliant – thanks Kia!

Alison Roberts 17/01/13    Link Report

• LA MUCCA BISCHERA, in San Lorenzo neighborhood (student, trendy area, busy mostly on weekend) I’d recommend to go for dinner (Saturday is probably the best day).
    Amazing meat and prices!
    Not far from Termini, this is not a tourist area worth to check if it’s not your first time in Rome, which means you can also see not just the beautiful and busy tourist areas.

Marta Bescos 17/01/13    Link Report

• Alison, please don’t take your mother all the way to Pigneto for a celebratory meal. It’s just not the place. Nor is da Tonino. It’s for when you want bright lights, paper tablecloths and nothing fancy.

There are loads of great restaurants, so you might need to narrow it down. What month are we talking about? What do you hope to spend? What do you like to eat? It’s a big city, with lots of restaurants. If you can be more specific, I can recommend something that shouldn’t disappoint.

crosspoll 17/01/13    Link Report

• Hi crosspoll,

Thanks for your message. We’ve arranged for her go at the end of Feb with my aunt, so I guess the budget would be about £150 for the two of them for dinner. They are both pretty open-minded in their food preferences, but particularly like Middle Eastern and Italian food. Look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Alison Roberts 18/01/13    Link Report