South Costa Rica

We have two weeks in Costa Rica coming up and I want to go south. Dominican and Uvita for beaches and Parque Nacional Corcovado for scuba diving and rainforest trips. I hear that both are best in the south.

BUT I also want a few days of beach partying. Apparently Tamarindo or Puerto Viejo are the places to go but going to either would add days worth of driving to our trip. Is there anywhere similar down south?

Any advice welcome. We have hired a 4×4 to get around.

lillymilligangilbert 02/11/13    Where to goCosta Rica Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

2 Replies Date Popularity

Depending on what you’re looking for, you may prefer Uvita to Dominical, which is great for surfing but is also becoming increasingly commercialized. Bahía, near Uvita, is even more laid back, and has an equally beautiful beach. From December onwards, you may even be able to spot humpback whales in the offshore Parque Nacional Marino Ballena. That said, some of the best scuba diving in Costa Rica – around Isla del Caño – is available on tours from Dominical (as well as from Bahía Drake, further south on the Osa Peninsula). Corcovado is an absolute must for wildlife-watching.

Tamarindo, in Guanacaste, in the northwest, and Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, on the Caribbean coast, are indeed some distance from the Zona Sur. It’s not my favourite place in Costa Rica, but the nearest party town is Jacó, about an hour and a half’s drive up the coast from Dominical (you can visit Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio on your way north).

One thing I would say is to allow plenty of time to get around the south, even with a 4WD, as the time and distance involved in getting to the main attractions can be longer than you think.

Keith Drew 05/11/13    Link Report

• Thanks for the advice it’s so helpful!

lillymilligangilbert 06/11/13    Link Report