Road trip in California

Hi I am flying to San Francisco in mid October and will stay in San Francisco for 4 days then plan to hire a car for 8 days ending in Las Vegas – we would like to visit Yosemite National Park, go down the coast past Big Sur and any other suggestions on route to Vegas – not sure which route to take. Can anyone help. Phyl

phyldoyle 24/05/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

Hi Phyl. San Francisco is my favourite city in the world! Make sure you head up Telegraph Hill for the amazing Bay views and to the Ferry Building for the farmers’ market.

The tricky bit in your list is going to Yosemite, as well as wanting to road trip the Big Sur, as you might end up covering the same ground twice. Because you’re short on time, have you thought about taking an organized tour to Yosemite? There are some great 2 or 3 day tours that embark from San Francisco, and I think that Incredible Adventures go as late in the year as October… Even if you don’t take the tour, their website (and Green Tortoise) will give you some good itinerary ideas!

As you venture inland towards Eastern California and Vegas, it’s a great idea to take your time and explore. If you want adventure, I’d say definitely go to Death Valley for sand dunes and ghost towns, and also explore some of the more obscure sections of the Old Route 66 and immense Mojave National Preserve.

Enjoy!

Rachel Mills 28/05/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....