Restaurants and bars in Bath

I’ve just booked a weekend in Bath for early November. Having never been before I would love any recommendations for great bars and restaurants. Might be able to splash out a little…

Thanks very much!

Olivia Rawes 16/10/13    Food & drinkEngland Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

4 Replies Date Popularity

Hi Olivia,

This answer is more about pubs & nightlife, but maybe it’ll be useful:

http://www.roughguides.com/questions/bath-nightlife/#answer-76963

Also, a couple of restaurants I’ve really enjoyed are Yak Yeti Yak on Pierrepont St and Demuth’s on North Parade Passage (just south of the abbey). A few doors from Demuth’s is Sally Lunn’s, home of the famous bun (don’t worry if that leaves you perplexed – they have a potted history on the menu, and a reconstruction of the original kitchen in the basement museum).

I’d recommend the Thermae Spa for a bit of extra indulgence – the twilight package is excellent, especially this time of year, while the rooftop pool gives you a chance to do your best impression of a Japanese macaque in a hot spring, watching the sun set over the city… see the photos on the website http://www.thermaebathspa.com/ to see what I mean!

The city’s so compact, it’s a breeze getting around, although a lot of streets are cobbled, so watch your footing. Finally, for the journey home, try Mr B’s Emporium of Reading Delights on John St for its splendid selection of books and gifts.

I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

Ed Wright 18/10/13    Link Report

• Thanks so much for this Ed, that’s really helpful! Just been checking out the Yak Yeti Yak menu it looks excellent and will certainly be trying out the famous bun, oh and the Thermae Spa will certainly have to happen!

Olivia Rawes 21/10/13    Link Report

• I’m sure this is far too late, but just wanted to second (third?) Yak Yeti Yak. It is SO good, we had a great experience there. Not only is the food amazing – and the portions generous – but the service is friendly and quick. Even the decor is cool!

Also, Allium Brasserie at Abbey Hotel. It’s pretty fancy but not overpriced, and again the service was great. I’m always really happy when somewhere which seems like it could be a bit cold and posh has warm, friendly, down-to-earth staff.

Finally, Tasting Rooms. It’s a wine and whisky shop during the day, but also has an amazing restaurant on the first floor. The owner was so lovely, came over and chatted to us for a good ten minutes about the whisky we were trying. He seemed really happy to be sharing what he loved. And the food was SO good!

Well now I miss Bath…

Rebecca Hallett 14/11/13    Link Report

• Thanks for the tips! Actually went the other weekend but good to have some recommendations for the future. It was my first time to Bath but I’d love to go back soon, so will make a note of these!

Olivia Rawes 15/11/13    Link Report