Need advice on where to travel for a creative writing project...

Fellow travelers,
I’m looking for advice on where to travel next year for this writing project I want to do. I want to travel to around 15 cities or so, spend a few days in each and then do some creative writing based on my experiences. I’ve compiled a list of 50 cities (most of which I’ve never been to before) that I’m interested in travelling to/writing about and I’d really appreciate it if you’d take a second and pick your favorites. Of course, I’d love to take a year off and travel to all of them, but due to time and financial constraints, that’s sadly not possible for now. Ok, here’s the list… Thanks in advance!

Montreal
Quebec City
Chicago
Las Vegas
Memphis
New Orleans
San Francisco
Oaxaca City
Puerto Vallarta
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
Antigua de Guatemala
Havana
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep.
Cartagena, Colombia
Rio de Janeiro
Valparaiso, Chile
Amsterdam
Barcelona
Budapest
Edinburgh
Florence
Lisbon
Marseille
Munich
Naples
Prague
Seville
St. Petersburg, Russia
Stockholm
Cape Town
Fes, Morocco
Zanzibar City
Beirut
Esfahan, Iran
Jerusalem
Bangkok
Bukhara, Uzbekistan
Chiang Mai
Hanoi
Hong Kong
Kathmandu
Kyoto
Phnom Penh
Taipei
Yogyakarta
Hobart, Australia
Melbourne
Suva, Fiji
Wellington, New Zealand

sarmbrst 21/11/13    Where to go Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Wow. That is an awesome list, friend. Sounds like a really cool project.

Okay, to start off, Memphis and New Orleans are near and dear to my heart. It’s the part of the world that I call home and I have had many a good time in both cities. They’re full of history, ambience, and attitude, and it’s all about the soul. I think they would be an unexpected but wise choice.

In addition, I like your Africa picks of Morocco, Zanzibar, and Cape Town. Lots of history and personality in those cities.

Amsterdam, Barcelona, and Prague all jumped out at me but probably because I’m going there next year myself. They seem like great travel experiences as far as Europe goes. I hear great things about Seville, Naples, and Florence as well. They almost made my trip. :)

I love Hong Kong. PLENTY to write about there. A very exciting and diverse place that’s brimming with activity.

Chiang Mai is beautiful. Do it.

Same goes with Fiji. Absolutely. I love anything in the South Pacific. Do try to get out of the city a ways as the isolation that can be found is truly unique.

Again, quite a list. Hope it works out for you. Happy writing!

Laura Pucik 21/11/13    Link Report

• Indeed that is an impressive list, but I’m not sure what you are asking exactly?

Each and every one of those places is full of inspiration, but it really depends on WHAT you are writing as to which would be right.

For example, my first novel was set predominantly in Egypt, so I wrote a good portion of it when I was in Cairo and Alexandria. There wouldnt have been much point heading to Hong Kong for that.

Secondly inspiration is unique to each individual, so I would really suggest telling us YOUR favourites, which ones on the list really cry out to you. Then you will have your answer as to which places will inspire you to write the most.

Michael Huxley 21/11/13    Link Report

• Those are nice cities. But I recommend you a silk way trip, from China to Iran and turkey in 4 weeks . It is a old comerical road in ancient. You can see the path divides. And for first time, you can see Iran and turkey in 2 weeks.

farhad 31/05/14    Link Report