Mountain biking in the Anti-Atlas Mountains

Meraid Griffen asks on Twitter: “Where can I find mountain bike trails in the Ante Atlas Mountains without going on a guided tour?”

Tim Chester 06/06/13    Activity and adventureMorocco Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Most mountain-bikers head to the High Atlas rather than the Anti-Atlas. Trails you could tackle independently there include the Marigha Circuit, an 18km loop along the back roads and pistes around Ouirgane. There are also several great routes from Amizmiz: across the Oued Anougal; around Jebel Timerghit; or a long, tough descent from Toulkine.

Keith Drew 06/06/13    Link Report

• Thank you Keith. What I really need is some route maps of the areas. I’m more keen on anti atlas than high atlas. Any ideas on this?
    Meraid Griffin

Farawayvisions 07/06/13    Link Report

• Hi Meraid,

The area around Tafroute is good, with some spectacular scenery within fairly easy reach of town and enough biking routes to keep you busy for a few days. You can ride north through the villages of the Ameln Valley or south to the famous painted rocks near Aguard Oudad. The best ride, though, is the loop from Tleta Tazerite, beyond Aguard Oudad, which runs through the palmeries that crowd the road south of Aït Mansour and then up to the village of Taghaout, the last bit snaking through a canyon on untarmaced piste.

I’m not sure if there are any biking maps of the area per se, but Atlas Mountain Interactive Services (01592 873546) do print a small trekking map of the Anti Atlas that could be useful. The Rough Guide Morocco map is also very good, of course ;o)

Cheers,

Keith

Keith Drew 07/06/13    Link Report