Maltby St market, London

Anyone been? What’s it like?

Mani Ramaswamy 17/01/13    City tipsEngland Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

5 Replies Date Popularity

Awesome. It’s pretty small and out of the way, but has a great atmosphere. Highlights include the best smoked salmon I’ve ever eaten @ Hansen & Lydersen (who also have a stall at Broadway Market), a couple of great wine bars and some really interesting and unusual street food. And the Kernel Brewery’s only round the corner as well…

savsquatch 01/02/13    Link Report

• I have been, and it is amazing! Tiny compared to, say, Borough Market, but a really great atmosphere and a real sense that everyone is doing what they’re doing for sheer love of it.

It’s slightly confusing as there’s not much on Maltby Street itself. The main section is The Ropewalk, just off Maltby Street, where there’s a full street of stalls: burgers, waffles, French cheeses, a couple of wine bars, a gin place and a few interesting antiques sellers to nose around. Tozino, a tapas place along here, is meant to be excellent (and is open beyond the market’s core hours of Sat 11am–2pm).

There are two other good areas worth nosing around: back towards Bermondsey tube, under the railway arches at the Spa Business Park on Dockley Road, there’s a fine butcher (who sells pork scratchings in huge jars at £15/kilo), and best of all The Kernel, probably London’s best brewery, which has a beer hall-like seating area tucked round the side which is very convivial. They’re open till 5pm on Saturday.

Under the arches along Druid Street is another area worth checking out, with St Johns Bakery (closed when I went), and 104 Druid Street (druidstreet.org), which is a cooperative with some excellent small-scale producers. Try the Remeker cheese from Boerenkaas.

There are a couple of excellent pubs within 5–10 mins walk from here: Simon the Tanner on Long Lane, and the Dean Swift on Gainsford Street (towards Butlers Wharf). And finally, if you’ve time, check out the tiny Partizan Brewery on Almond Street, back towards Southwark Park, which has just opened up and produces some good brews.

Edward Aves 11/02/13    Link Report

• Oops, open Saturday 9am–2pm (roughly) I should have said. It’s also open Sunday 11am–4pm now apparently.

Edward Aves 11/02/13    Link Report

• Thanks for the tips! I made it to Maltby St few weeks ago but it was quiet because of the snow. Still managed to find fresh oysters and waffles and left with some excellent Colombian hot chocolate and smoking hot Gran Luchito Mexican chilli paste – very addictive! No free tables at Tozino but the ham and cheese plates definitely looked worth the wait. Neither of you mentioned the Tayshaw greengrocer on Druid St (in arch 60). I followed the crowds to see what the fuss was all about and I’ve never seen such impressive veg. Not cheap but hard to complain when pimientos del padron and King Oyster mushrooms are in front of you. Good to know they’ve decided to open on Sundays now too, thanks.

Mani Ramaswamy 14/02/13    Link Report

• The Tayshaw greengrocer has some excellent wild mushrooms as well, at very reasonable prices (much more than Borough Market). I wish they would start stocking cheeses and other dairy, it would make for an even more enjoyable trip there!

Julz 22/02/13    Link Report