Los Chilies to La Fortuna

Hi guys, we are currently on Ometepe, Nicaragua and plan to get the over night ferry to San Carlos, then hop on another boat to Los Chilies. Any tips about the border crossing here? We then want to get to La Fortuna. Does anyone know how easy it is to get a bus from Los Chilies to La Fortuna and where the bus leaves from etc? Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

ljbee 12/05/14    Costa Rica Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

Hi LJBee. Most travellers still cross at Peñas Blancas (further west), but it is perfectly possible to cross at Los Chiles. There is meant to be a bridge being built between here and San Carlos de Nicaragua, but it has been constantly delayed, so you’re right, the boat is the only option for now.

From San Carlos to the border control point it’s 14km ($14; 45min) and there are usually a couple of services each day. Make sure you get your passport stamped on the way in to Costa Rica (keep in mind that you might be asked for an onward ticket and proof of sufficient funds in your account – around $500).

In Los Chiles you can change dollars and travellers’ cheques at the Banco Nacional on the north side of the football field (Mon–Fri 8am–3.30pm), which also has an ATM.

Buses arrive and depart from the small station just west of where the main road turns left down to the port. Regular buses go to San José, San Carlos (the one in Costa Rica!) and Upala (for Caño Negro), but I’m afraid I don’t know of a direct one to La Fortuna… you may have to change at San Carlos.

Let me know how it goes (and if you find out there’s a direct bus!). Enjoy the trip :-)

Rachel Mills 12/05/14    Link Report

Hi, thanks so much for the advice. Will let you know how it goes! If you have a mo, check out our blog…http://loveamonday.blogspot.com/

ljbee 12/05/14    Link Report

Hello! So we made it to La Fortuna, but we did have to get two buses and change at San Carlos. It looked like we could have gotten off at Meulle which i think would have shortened the journey, but it looked like a drive through kind of place and we weren’t sure how likely it was that we’d be able to flag down a bus! From la Fortuna we made our way to Tortuguero which we soon discovered was a nightmare to reach by public transport, so we ended up getting quite a pricey shuttle…still well worth it :-)

ljbee 18/05/14    Link Report