Itinerary advice for ~2weeks in November in Thailand

Hi! My husband and I and another couple are looking to plan a trip to Thailand in November for ~2 weeks. I have read many websites and forums and find it all a bit confusing! If it works out we would love to be in Chaing Mai for the lantern festival in early November, spend a couple days in Bangkok and then relax on a couple of islands on the west coast on the Andaman Sea (based off of weather research). I’ve been told by multiple friends that Phuket is a just a dirty city and not worth stopping in? I’m looking for a good mix of a traditional beautiful island experience with basic western accommodations and comforts. Any suggestions on routes and transportation? Also on which islands should be skipped and which ones cant be missed? High on our wish list is an elephant ride but must be at a place that cares for their animals! While I have no doubt that we will all love Thailand, I imagine this will be a once in a lifetime trip so we want to feel like we are getting as much out of it as we can!
Thanks!
Jess (NYC)

jcantnyc 11/04/14    Where to goThailand Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Hey Jess – sounds like a good trip! We’ve done an article on the best islands in Thailand, you can check it out here: http://bit.ly/14PrM12

I hope it clears up some of your questions. If you have any more, don’t hesitate to ask! Our editors are here to offer advice.

Happy travels!

Lottie Gross 11/04/14    Link Report

• Hi, In just two weeks you really aren’t going to see much at all. I don’t want to sound harsh but it is true. You just aren’t going to fit in relaxing on a couple of different islands plus time in the north. Have you considered the travel days it takes to get between places eating into your time?

My advice, take 1 week North (including BKK), then 5 days on ONE island in the South.

Have a look here for a list of islands and activities to choose from. http://bemusedbackpacker.com/destination-guide/asia/south-east-asia/thailand/

Also look here to read up about elephant trekking and RIGHT tourism http://bemusedbackpacker.com/travel-tips/ethical-travel/wildlife-tourism/

Michael Huxley 24/04/14    Link Report

• Hello!
    Sounds great – Thailand has so much to offer, and really I place worth visiting. Since you are going to Bangkok for a couple of days, you get your dose of neon lights and buzzing up there. If you werent going to Bangkok, a couple of days in Patong in Phuket would have been worth a try. Depending on what you are looking for, I always find Ao Nang in Krabi a good place to go. Good boat conections to beautiful islands and beaches. Ko Lanta is worth a visit if you want to relax, and enjoy miles of beaches. Otherwise Raya Island is a hidden beauty with wild Komodo dragons(!). And no matter what people think of Phi Phi and all the tourists, it`s a fantastic place if you want to combine a tropical island (no cars there) with a couple of days of real partying :-)

mocarentz 26/05/14    Link Report