Interesting food to try in Europe?

Hi guys, I’m about to embark on a 6 month backpacking trip around Europe, stopping off at all the ‘must dos’ – Rome, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, Prague, Amesterdam etc. and I think I have all the sightseeing covered but I wanted to ask if you guys knew of some interested and unique meals I could try that I wouldn’t find in the UK?

I found this map http://voucherbox.co.uk/edible-europe/ which is pretty cool and I am up for the Haring in Amesterdam but wondered if there was anything else interesting to eat there? Bit of a foodie and want to try things unique to each location!

Please help me eat my way though Europe!

mariat 13/08/14    Food & drinkEurope Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

9 Replies Date Popularity

Sounds like a great trip! If you’re up for something more adventurous than pizza in Rome, head to the Testaccio district, famed for its earthy, offal-based dishes. You could try pajata (cooked intestines of unweaned calves served in a tomato sauce with rigatoni) or trippa alla romana (tripe in tomato sauce with pecorino cheese). Old-school restaurants Checchino dal 1887 or Agustarello are your best bet. While in the area, visit the newly revamped Testaccio market, which has all sorts of foodie delicacies to sample. Buon appetito!

Natasha Foges 13/08/14    Link Report

• Thanks Natasha! The Pajata sounds amazingly awful but possibly rather tasty haha! May go for the Trippa Alla Romana though if the intestines don’t look like they’ll go down well.. Thank you for the info about good foodie areas, will get them into my travel plans and make sure to get round everything. Really can’t wait!

mariat 13/08/14    Link Report

• Wow, so much to try! I’ll stick to some Barcelona recommendations…

Seeing as you’ll be in the Catalonian capital, you should definitely go for Catalan dishes rather than simply Spanish. It’s a very fishy city, so head down to the Port Vell for the pick of the day’s catch. You could try esquiexada, a fresh-tasting cod-based salad, or fideuà, noodles with fish and garlic allioli. For a different take on paella you could go for arròs negre (which is delicious, if a little scary looking!) and treat yourself to a smooth crema Catalana for dessert.

It’s also worth looking up some of the city’s old milk bars (granja), and of course trying the very Catalan breakfast in Mercat de la Boqueria institution Bar Pinotxo – it includes a glass of cava, which I reckon is a great start to the day!

Rebecca Hallett 14/08/14    Link Report

• Thanks Rebecca, yeah defo going to go for something Catalan and anything with allioli and I’m sold! Thank you for all the tips, will be sure to try arròs negre – just writing this all down in my travel food diary! So excited now! May have to pack a few clothes a few sizes bigger at this rate :)

mariat 14/08/14    Link Report

• If you are coming to Vienna, try Schnitzel (veal), Leberkäse, Käsekrainer and Schweinsbraten. So tasty. :)

trigo 20/08/14    Link Report

• When you’re in Amsterdam try Mother’s Restaurant. They have traditional Dutch dishes, like stamppot. It’s all good! Bring a picture of your mum, they’ll hang it on the wall. Safe travels.

http://www.moeders.com/pagina.php?m=14&p=14

TheArtBureau 21/08/14    Link Report

jessisawanderer 26/08/14    Link Report

• Hi, I would definitely suggest you to try burek, you can find it all over Balkan countries! :) so tasty!

giulia-blocal-blog 26/08/14    Link Report

• You absolutely must go to Budapest (or anywhere in Hungary I suppose!) to try Kurtosh. The funnest, yummiest bread. I recommend trying the cinnamon one. It’s hard to explain but it unravels as you go making it fun! And super delicious too :)

jessisawanderer 26/08/14    Link Report