How do you find driving abroad?

The UK is ranked 24th in the world’s best roads according to a road quality survey conducted in 2013. It sits beneath the UEA, Oman, France and the USA – all in the top twenty (http://bit.ly/1n5haG3).

I recently discovered the freedoms of driving while abroad when I went to Slovenia (even if it was a little terrifying driving on the wrong – or right, depending on where you’re from – side of the road). The roads were quiet, well maintained and well-signposted which made it comfortable for a nervous first-time-abroad driver like me.

Where is the best place you’ve ever driven and why?
Have you ever had any hair-raising experiences on the road?
What advice would you give to drivers abroad?

Lottie Gross 11/06/14    Getting around Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Sri Lanka is both the most fun and most terrifying place I’ve driven. Might is right on Sri Lankan roads – I’ve seen a pedestrian being overtaken by a cyclist being overtaken by a car being overtaken by a bus on the same (not very wide) road – but the hazards don’t just come from other vehicles. Dogs like to sleep in the road – only moving from oncoming traffic at the very last minute – and cows, monkeys and even elephants all present their own challenges.

It’s not for the faint-hearted but for the sense of freedom – and exhilaration – I’d recommend it.

Edward Aves 12/06/14    Link Report

This doesn’t sound like something I’ll be doing anytime soon!

Lottie Gross 12/06/14    Link Report

Coward.

Edward Aves 12/06/14    Link Report

Fair comment.

HI My name is Amanda I saw your profile today in [www.roughguides.com ] so please contact me back at my private email ID ([email protected]) so that i can send you my picture and my details thanks from Amanda.

johnson 29/06/14    Link Report

• As the home of the road-trip, the USA has got to be up there for best places to drive: long, straight roads; great scenery; and, unless you’re in Manhattan or downtown LA, not too much traffic. I also love the way a lot of their cities are so distinct from their surroundings, so you can see places like Chicago a long time before you actually get to them, which really cranks up the excitement – unlike the damp squib that is crawling through the suburbs of London.

Most of my “interesting” driving experiences seem to derive from being in a hire car that’s entirely unsuited to the terrain, such as driving a little Opel Corsa down Ruta 40, a gravel “road” that shadows the Andes in Argentine Patagonia and is meant to be tackled only in some sort of pick-up truck. Or crossing the Atlas Mountains in Morocco in an Opel Corsa (there’s a theme developing here) and having to ford a load of rushing rivers that were meant to be dry at that time of year. I’ve also rolled a 4WD in Costa Rica – the Land of the Pothole – when I reversed into a drainage ditch, and angered a bunch of shoppers in Auckland by making them all reverse up out of a spiralling underground car-park entrance when I realised, too late, that our campervan was too high to squeeze under the barrier. Happy days…

Keith Drew 12/06/14    Link Report

Definitely my favourite story shared on Community ever. Thanks Keith!

• Do mopeds and motorbikes count? I’m going to include them anyway… A three-day moped trip around southern Sri Lanka was fun. We diced with death on several occasions – the triple overtake on narrow roads is a terrifying thing to witness. Best part was having to stop for a wild male elephant who was standing in the middle of the road. He wouldn’t budge and caused a huge traffic jam. Fortunately, he didn’t stampede us, though he looked like he was on the verge.

Had a very memorable motorbike trip in Peru (where this time I was a passenger) from Cusco to Macchu Piccu, winding our way round the perilously narrow and bumpy mountain roads for 3 days. Our “guide” didn’t seem to be aware that a large chunk of the road was closed, as it was being rebuilt. When we got to the roadblock, he decided we should just charge through anyway. We drove straight through the barricade and past dozen of workers, and just about managed to get through the closed section, full of loose soil, rocks and general piles of debris, with a sheer drop on one side. Amazingly, none of us got (seriously) hurt. Hairiest journey of my life!

I drove a car in Slovenia recently too, after not getting behind the wheel for about 4 years, and was terrified at first. My left hand kept clutching the door handle, as I grasped desperately for the gear stick on the wrong side. But, as Lottie said, the roads are easy to drive on in Slovenia, and I soon got used to it. Driving in the USA since then was a doddle! Automatic car and straight roads… cruise control all the way. In some ways it was TOO easy. Drivers should be kept on their toes when behind the wheel, or they might stop concentrating!

Helen Abramson 13/06/14    Link Report