Has anyone been to Serengeti Africa? Travel Advice in Need

I am dreaming on have a trip to Serengeti, Africa. Do anyone of you know if it is safe? How many days should I take the trip? Any vaccines that I should take before going there and I’d like to know how much is the estimated cost per day there?

Any tips is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

xoxo

travelchick 07/12/13    Wildlife and natureAfricaTanzania & Zanzibar Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

Visiting Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park is indeed a dream trip. It’s as “safe” as any destination that is home to wild animals can be, but if you listen to your guide and use a bit of common sense (ie no leaving your vehicle for a closer look at a lion!), then you should be fine.

I’d guess most people take a three-night trip to the Serengeti, though if you can spend longer there, then all the better; the Serengeti usually forms part of a larger itinerary that visits other parks such as Tarangire, Lake Manyara or the Ngorongoro Crater, for example. Costs vary wildly depending on how you’re travelling (ie in a large group in a minibus, or more preferable, and more expensive, in a jeep with two or three other travellers), what type of lodge or camp you want to stay in, whether you fly in or arrive overland from another park and so on – the Safari section in the Rough Guide to Tanzania (roughguides.com/?post_type=product&s=tanzania) lists our author’s recommended outfits, as well as the ins and outs and dos and dont’s of choosing a reliable tour operator.

You should check with your doctor or a travel clinic before you travel, but typical vaccinations for Tanzania are for typhoid, tetanus, polio and hep A, though you’d also need a rabies jab if you’re going to be coming into close contact with animals. You’ll also need to take anti-malarials, though note that the malarial strain in East Africa is resistant to Proguanil and Chloroquine.

Keith Drew 13/12/13    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....