Geneva tips anyone?

Hi all,

I’m going to a wedding in the Swiss Alps in June and will probably be flying into Geneva. I’m torn between exploring the city for a couple of days or going walking in the mountains beforehand (the whole of the wedding is up a mountain so there will still be other time for doing this). Is there lots to see and do in Geneva? I’m quite interested in swimming in Lake Geneva – anyone tried this out before?

Thanks!
Alison

Alison Roberts 10/01/14    City tipsSwitzerland Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

4 Replies Date Popularity

Yes!! Went swimming in Lake Geneva a couple of summers ago and it was absolutely amazing. We camped at the opposite end of the lake from Geneva and spent an afternoon in the most beautifully sited castle, the Château de Chillon.

The beach we found on the lake was teeny tiny and really quiet. I’ll try to find out exactly where it was – we were also recommended a nearby alpine lake that the locals swim in and we drove over there for a day of lazing about, sunbathing and swimming. Watch this space for details!

Rachel Mills 16/01/14    Link Report

• Ohh, this sounds totally lush – thank you so much Rachel! Beginning to think I might give the city sights a miss and just chill out by the lake for a couple of days instead…It looks like the castle is actually en route to Riederfurka (where we’re heading in the mountains) and the perfect place to stop off and break up the train journey.

Muchas gracias!

Alison Roberts 16/01/14    Link Report

• Depending what time you get into Geneva Airport, what time the wedding is at, and when you have to leave again!! Geneva is a lovely city, and is surrounded by vineyards too! There are some really nice Vineyard hikes including wine tasting….. The trip by train from Geneva to Riederfurka Mitte takes 3hrs 20mins oneway.With a few changes.

myswissholidaytips 21/01/14    Link Report

• Hi myswissholidaytips, I expect we’ll be doing wedding things for the majority of the trip but we roughly have 2 days spare beforehand. The vineyard hikes sound interesting – whereabouts can you do this?

Alison Roberts 29/01/14    Link Report