First time in Southern France

Hey all it’s my first time to visit southern france and I’m planning to start with cannes and end it in Paris to London .. What are the recommended stops ? I thought of nice-Monte Carlo- marseille – verdon du gorges – Paris .. Am I going good ? And how long do u think I should stay in each knowing that I’m travelling with my family .. Thanks a lot !

Sara D 03/08/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

Hi Sara,

It really depends on how long you’re planning on being in France for, and also how you’re going to be travelling around. The coast between Cannes and Monte Carlo is really easy to travel along by public transport (the train is highly recommended), so personally I’d choose to stay in Nice and travel to Cannes and Monte Carlo on day trips from there as Nice is arguably the more interesting city wi. But if you do want to stay in each place, I would suggest starting your trip in either Monte Carlo or Marseille, to stop you from having to backtrack a few times (so doing, for example, Monte Carlo – Nice – Cannes – Marseille – Gorges du Verdon).

If you have time, there’s a real abundance of wonderful places to visit in the region – the Calanques near Marseille are absolutely beautiful, and I’d also really recommend the small town of Arles (and the beautiful Camargue region on its doorstep), as well as the usual Provencal highlights of Aix-en-Provence and Avignon.

If you’re travelling by car, then the journey between the Gorges du Verdon and Paris is a long one, and not one I’d really fancy doing in a day. One option would be to head to Verdon after Marseille, as planned, then stop in Avignon and then Lyon to break up the journey to Paris. Lyon is well worth a stop, not least for its wonderful food.

I hope that helps! Do let me know if you have any further questions…

Emma

Emma Gibbs 04/08/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....