Eating and drinking in Marrakesh & Essaouira

I’m off to Morocco for two weeks (first week in Marrakesh and then going on to Essaouira). Does anyone have any great suggestions for restaurants, cafes or bars in either place?
On a previous post I’ve seen a lot of people recommending Café Arabe in Marrakesh so this is definitely on my list!

Thanks very much!

Olivia Rawes 03/06/13    Food & drinkMorocco Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

5 Replies Date Popularity

Hi Olivia,

In Marrakesh, Café Arabe is definitely worth a visit, as is Al Fassia in Guéliz, for Fassi cuisine such as pastilla (sweet yet savoury pigeon pie). Café Arabe also does cocktails, while Kechmara, also in Guéliz, is a good place to catch DJ sets and other live music.

In Essaouira, try the Italian-Moroccan cooking at Elizir or, for breakfast, the flaky pastries at Patisserie Chez Driss. For drinking, there’s chilled-out La Triskalla and/or the rooftop terrace at Taros.

Street food in either town is great: at the stalls that set up each night in the Jemaa el Fna in Marrakesh, and at the fish grills down in Essaouira’s port.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith Drew 04/06/13    Link Report

• marrakesh

bars are bit thin on the ground but you can find drink.

if your desperate to get out of the heat and souks take sanctuary and grab a cold beer at Hotel Grand Tazi just sit in reception area order a beer, you don’t have to eat.

Had a drink in buddha bar but it was completely empty when we went. maybe someone has a better bar recomendation.

Cafe de france good for sunset over Jemaa el-Fna, get there early. or cheaper option buy a drink entrance fee and get a view from Le Grand Balcon Cafe Glacier.

essouira
    taros cafe nice place to hang out overlooking the square and harbour, drinks pricy though.

from memory some nice restaurants on Rue Mohamed Ben Massaoud Bab Sbaa.

Bar Hafra, Ruette Layachi, Essaouira. is the cheapest place i found for a drink in essouira. bit rundown and locals getting drunk type of drinking den. you might find it a bit too seedy.

2 bars at the beach, one on left more seedy but safe good for a quick drink, bunker bar i think. the one on right you can sit outside.

try the fish stalls near the harbour, choose your hut and try to get a good price for the fish.

also if looking at the sea, walk as far as you can to left, nice afternoon bar restaurant chill out place on the end beach side of the road.

enjoy

gavin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gavinburnett

http://500px.com/9avin

http://twitter.com/9avin

gavin burnett 04/06/13    Link Report

• Hi Keith and Gavin,

Thanks so much for these recommendations they look great! Will definitely make note of them for my trip!

Thanks,

Olivia

Olivia Rawes 04/06/13    Link Report

• The fish restaurants at the port are lively and exciting. Select your fresh fish, be as fancy or as plain as you like. They weigh it, give you a price. Haggle, agree and wait to be served. It’s all outdoors. You will get local fresh bread, a tomato and onion salad and can have a fizzy drink. If you’re a vegetarian, like my partner, bring your own vegetables and they will grill them for you. A really special dining experience. Locals and tourists/travellers eat here daily.

Farawayvisions 06/06/13    Link Report

• This sounds fantastic, definitely right up my street! Thanks very much!

Olivia Rawes 06/06/13    Link Report