Eastern Europe beach holiday

Hi,

Me and a group of friends are looking to go on a cheap beach holiday in late august. We’re not usually the beach holiday type and are looking to avoid the typical beach resort scene (if this is possible!).
We are thinking of visiting Lake Ohrid and Thessaloniki, but its incredibly difficult to find good information on Macedonia online. Our other potential options are Budva, Varna and Zadar.
We are looking for good nightlife and plenty of young people, but not the typical cheesy beach scene full of drunken idiots – I accept that this can’t be avoided completely :-) Would our original plan avoid this kind of scene? Advice would be greatly appreciated as we’re all struggling to make a decision!

Thanks,

Ben

Benjamin Gorrill 21/05/14    Activity and adventureEurope Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

2 Replies Date Popularity

August is peak holiday season in the Balkans so booking accommodation ahead is probably a good idea. Go early September and it’ll be much quieter, not as hot and perhaps a bit cheaper. Macedonia’s freshwater Ohrid lake has tasty fish and good beaches that can easily be reached on daytrips from Ohrid town, a lovely place to base yourself, with plenty of private rooms. Budva and Varna have the crowds you’re looking to avoid. Alternatively, Albania’s riviera coast north of Saranda is absolutely gorgeous – and hot around that time of year.

Jeroen van Marle 21/05/14    Link Report

• Hey – I’m going to Zadar this summer and have been chatting to the author of the Rough Guide to Croatia who says it’s a really great place. There’s plenty to do, good nightlife, but not like your typical resort style vibe. It’s a lovely town and there are a few islands great for day trips for more beach time just over the water! I’ll report back in July after I’ve been and let you know how it is :)

Lottie Gross 29/05/14    Link Report