Best time to go to Southern Peru

Hi,

I really want to go to Peru this year but am unsure whens the best time to go?! I think summer is Jan-Mar by the beaches but then I heard Machu Picchu is closed in Feb.

Ideally I’d like to go to Lima, Huacachina, then see the Nazca lines, Arequipa, Cusco and then do Machu Picchu.

Thanks =)

Itchyfeet2014 19/01/14    General travel chatPeru Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

4 Replies Date Popularity

Hi, thanks for your question.

We have a section on when to go to Peru here:

http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/south-america/peru/when-to-go/

I hope it gives you some answers! If not, I’m sure our expert editors will be able to help.

Happy travels!

Lottie Gross 20/01/14    Link Report

PS. One of our Twitter followers said this: Their winter (July-Sept-ish) is best b/c it’s dry season. Hiking would be tough in the highlands during rainy season.

Lottie Gross 21/01/14    Link Report

• Yep, December to March are the driest, sunniest months on the coast – but it tends to be raining elsewhere! I’d probably avoid May to August as many sights are packed out with tour groups.

The Inca Trail is closed in February every year, but as far as I know Machu Picchu is open year-round (it can be accessed via a short hike from Aguas Calientes).

Have an amazing trip :-)

Rachel Mills 22/01/14    Link Report

• I did Peru last year July. The weather was brilliant and had no problems. As far as I can remember we didn’t even have one day of rain or bad weather.

If you do not have time to do the Inca Trail you can get a local bus to Santa Maria and then taxi it to Hidro-elctrica. Then from there you will walk all along the train tracks till you get to Aquascalientes. If you plan on camping there is a really nice (and cheap) camp site right at the entrance to Machu Pichu. Remember to go buy your entrance ticket the night before. The walk up to the top is amazing, but also challenging as you do this in the dark and also it is very steep. (what an accomplishment once you reach the top)

A place you really need to spend a few days is Mancora in the north of Peru. Wow! Don’t be surprised if you end up staying there for longer :)

Got lots of tips for you so please ask.

:)

Robert 27/01/14    Link Report

• Ok thanks for your answers guys =)

Most things I read seem to suggest that May to August are super busy so thinking April and September will probably be the best!

Itchyfeet2014 30/01/14    Link Report

You are right April is a good month to visit Machu Pichu. If you want to climb the Huayna Picchu I recommend you buy your tickets in advance because there are only 400 spaces available per day. The purchase can be made at the official website if you have a Visa Card otherwise if you do not have one you’ll have to do it through an agency. This http://ticketmachupicchu.com/ is a good alternative…

Good Trip!

Priscila 25/03/14    Link Report