Best and worst in-flight/onboard meals?

Airline food used to be pretty rank once upon a time, but now airlines and train operators alike are making an effort to feed us travellers fairly well!

On a recent trip to Nepal I had a lovely beef bourguignon and glass of Shiraz on Qatar Airways (not that it had anything to do with my destination), and last year I ate a hearty 3 course meal with some lovely Tusker beer on the Nairobi-Mombasa railway…

Then again, there are always some poor attempts at catering: the questionable “cheese” sandwich on my Malaysian jungle train was an entertaining eat, and the bright green juice served on Thai buses did nothing for my intention to snooze the night away!

But it’s all in the name of travel and only makes for more fun anecdotes (and sometimes rumbling tummies).

What’s the best and worst in-flight or on-board meal you’ve ever ingested?

Lottie Gross 23/10/13    General travel chat Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

2 Replies Date Popularity

I always love in-flight meals. The g and t beforehand that’s like five g and ts in one. The bitterness towards the veggies and any other dietary requirers who get theirs before you. The condensation on the underside of the lid. The sachet of extra-strength black pepper. The blancmange cheesecake.

Neil McQuillian 23/10/13    Link Report

I love them too. Taking your time over each course kills a good two minutes of an 11-hour flight. Plus I always get my wife’s dessert and cheese. And usually main and bread roll.

Tim Chester 24/10/13    Link Report

Learnt a good trick on a Qatar flight once – forget to tell them you’re a veggie and when they run out of economy veggie meals they’ll have to give you the first class veggie option. It’s only marginally better but the superiority you feel over your fellow economy passengers is great…

Lottie Gross 24/10/13    Link Report

Good to know! :)

Super Admin 05/11/13    Link Report

• Two of the best in-flight meals I’ve ever had were 1) on a TAP flight (Lisbon > Frankfurt) a few years back. I went there on business, so I flew 1st class and the meal was prepared by a great chef. Both the food and the wine were exquisite. And 2) on a British Airways flight to Tokyo earlier this year: the food was delicious and they kept bringing more food and more drinks throughout the flight. It was a good way to pass the time, too.

I can’t remember the worst, though – I guess my brain just deleted it somehow. :)

Isabel Ferreira 25/10/13    Link Report