Backpacking Through Peru - Help!

Hi all – my husband and I are visiting Peru from 22nd May til 8th June. We have arranged to do the 4 day Inca Trail trek on 2nd June. Our question is: how much can we see without rushing everywhere? We land in Lima and realise we need to be in Cusco by 31st May to acclimatise etc which doesn’t really give us much time I admit. Ideally we’d like to go to Nazca, Islas Balestas, possibly Colca Canyon and Lake Titicaca. Is this realistic?! All advice appreciated! H :)

hcfraser 24/01/13    General travel chatPeru Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

2 Replies Date Popularity

That’s quite short, but you should have time to see many of the things you mentioned. You absolutely need at least 3 nights in Cusco before doing the Inca Trail for altitude acclimatisation ; don’t under-estimate the effect of flying from sea level to 3400 metres.

My wife and I did a similar trip to yours in 2010 (but we were there for a month). You can see our story and pictures at http://www.paulkilfoil.co.za/2010.aspx

TravelBandit 25/01/13    Link Report

• Hmm, I would say knock 2 -3 things off your list, just so you aren’t completely exhausted from running around. An itinerary like yours is best done in a month at least.

Michael Huxley 28/03/13    Link Report