Where is the best place to watch baby turtles hatching?

Where is the best place in the world to watch baby turtles hatching?
This is very high up on my bucket list and I know many places around the world have beaches where turtles nest and hatch but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any particular place. I’m not picky about the species. Also when is the best time of year for this?

Little Miss Backpacker 27/05/13    Wildlife and nature Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

13 Replies Date Popularity

Iztuzu, dalyan, Mugla, Turkey

atilatak 30/05/13    Link Report

• Hi there, Isla Cañas off Panama is famed for being the site of what they call an “arribada”, when thousands of sea turtles come ashore all at once to lay their eggs. It’s still not quite understood why they like this stretch of beach in particular, which makes it all the more special when you see it – I wasn’t so lucky, however! They’re supposed to take place between August and November. But if you’re there May–January you’re very likely to see green, hawksbill or Oliver Ridley turtles laying at night (though in smaller numbers than when the arribadas occur). From December to March there’s a good chance of seeing huge leatherbacks, which can weigh over 800kg!

Neil McQuillian 30/05/13    Link Report

• To the original poster – we asked your question on Twitter and there are now LOTS of suggestions. Do you know how to navigate Twitter? If not, I can let you know the responses we got.

Neil McQuillian 30/05/13    Link Report

• Thanks for your responses, lots of nice thigs to think about Neil. I’m not to sharp on twitter so some help would be great.
    I have also been looking at turtle conservation projects, was thinking something where I can get properly involved and my hands dirty. But most ‘volunteer’ projects cost over £1k a month!

Little Miss Backpacker 05/06/13    Link Report

• I am the original poster but for some reason I am having real trouble activating and using my account.

• Hi again, I dug out three of the responses from Twitter:

1. Sri Lanka
    2. Port Barton, Philippines
    3. Greek Islands or Caribbean

When you say you’re having trouble with your account, do you mean here or on Twitter?

Neil McQuillian 05/06/13    Link Report

• Trouble with this account, I joined and posted that but never got an email to activate my account. I assume that’s why I also never got emails telling me people had replied to my post. I tried creating a new account but it says my email address has already been used ( which means I hadn’t misspelt my address which I thought was a possibility)
    I created a new account using an old email but it hasn’t sent me an activation email either.

• Oh yeah and thanks for those responses. Looking in to them now.

• Hi again, please check your email – we have tried to sort out the issue at this end.

Neil McQuillian 05/06/13    Link Report

• Costa Rica is also good, particularly Parque Nacional Tortuguero on the Caribbean coast, where you can see green, hawksbill (both July–Oct) and leatherback (March–May) turtles laying their eggs. On the Pacific coast, leatherbacks nest on Playa Grande near Tamarindo between October and February, while Olive ridleys gather on the beaches at the Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre Ostional, further down the Nicoya Peninsula, between July and November.

In addition, Friends of the Osa (osaconservation.org/get-involved/volunteer/sea-turtle-program) runs volunteer programs on the Osa Peninsula, in the south of the country.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith Drew 05/06/13    Link Report

• Keith, That’s a great website thanks. Have you done the program?

Neil thanks for that I think it’s all sorted now.

Thanks
    Nina

littlemissbackpacker 06/06/13    Link Report

• Hi,

Lots of suggestions above but a great spot to watch turtles (green) hatching and laying eggs is in Oman. In Ras Al Hadd and Ras Al Jinz they have a good set up. Turtles arrive on the beach all year round but around July is the peak month. You can see the mothers laying the eggs at dawn and the youngster making a dash for it at night. It is a really cool experience. They have a turtle preservation centre there
    I don’t know how much you have travelled or where you have been but Oman is a very nice and modern country. They have good roads, the city, mountains, desert and of course the coast and coral reefs on the islands. I rented a car for a week and drove in a big loop and included the turtles. Lots of wadis to explore and swim in as well. It is not a strict Muslim country so this is very much accepted.
    I wrote more info and details on my website about Oman and the turtles Ras Al Jinz.

http://www.travellingforfun.com/oman

I hope this helps
    Ross

TravellingforfunRoss 18/06/13    Link Report

• Anyone know where I could see baby turtles hatching on the beach in Massachusetts? My boyfriend has had the nickname turtle since he started fighting and stunting bikes he has had this name for many years and I have a shirt that says turtle girl. I would love to surprise him and bring him to watch turtles hatch out of their eggs and burrow out of the sand and into the ocean. I think it would be a perfect surprise considering the situation but I can’t seem to find anything online besides this post about hatching turtles.

Turtle Girl 08/03/14    Link Report